ICND1/CCENT... bit shocked

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by dwhyte85, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Hello,

Although I did manage to pass (barely scraped through 837) I was really shocked, I felt totally unprepared despite using the Cisco Press book (Wendell) and alot of router simulations, computer networks at uni, hands on experience and a good understanding of the cisco way from hands on playing

It felt very... in depth, alot was fairly obvious because I'd done the background reading but one part in paticular on WAN really knocked me for four, I can't remember it being anywhere in Cisco Press reading.

Has anyone else had a bit of a shock at the in-depthness of this exam, I expected it to be hard and was prepared for hard... this was fairly godlike - I didn't expect to be spoon fed by the Cisco Press book but I'd have hoped it outlined any extra reading! I'd suggest this was alot harder than my computer networking at university.

Anyway, whine over - has anyone else been given a bit of a shock on arrival?

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I used a couple of books (Lammle's CCNA and Walker/walker CCENT) and found the exam pretty much what I expected. Maybe you just got unlucky with the questions but I'd always advocate two good study sources. The only exam I've scraped through by the skin of my teeth I really only had one good study source.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Very good point, I just assumed it'd all be outlined - whether or not in-depth, you live and learn!

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  4. kilgore

kilgore New Member

I also recently sucsessfuly passed my CCENT. I agree that even after reading the book and even doing a boot camp course the exam left be a bit flustered as many topics covered had only small mentions within the book where as certain subjects that had a lot more detail in the book didnt even get a mention in the exam. Im trying hard not to detail to much what the exam contained but anyone studying I would say lots more practicals than theory for prep. Just my experience of the exam though.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Network +, CCENT, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA