ICND1 (CCENT) and Comptia Network+

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Coupe2T, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have finally convinced my company that I would better serve them if they allow me to train and become a network support engineer, and now they want me to get a good base knowledge regarding networks before I can get involved with some of the more practical stuff.

My question to you all is simple . . . . Where shoudl I start???

The company has said that they want me up to CCNA level asap, so they want me to start reading and cramming and get ready for exams etc, but should I go Comptia N+ first, as a base grounding, or does the ICND1 now cover pretty much the same stuff???

I've been told that the ICND1 is all theory based more or less and about how networks etc work, which from what I can gather is the same as the Network+ cert. So just after a little advice as to what I should do really???

Also, once the ICND1 has been passed, how long do you get to then go on and do the ICND2 and get the full CCNA cert? I know you have to re-certify every 2 or 3 years, but how much time do you get from passing the first exam to do the second???

Cheers

Jay

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Network+ is more theory and troubleshooting and the CCENT shares some similarities but also includes setting up or working with Cisco hardware. It can depend on what you are going to be working on and what experience you already have. For the most part if you're dealing solely with network engineering then you'll end up doing CCNA. Of course this is where your employer wants you to be so I would take advantage of what they are offering you and start with your CCENT. It sounds like you're already in a line of work that gives you the experience needed.

As for your second question, you have up until your CCENT expires to take the second exam and earn your CCNA. Your CCNA will then have a new three year expiration date.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Thanks mate, Much appreciated.

I just didn't want to jump into the CCENT and then find out that I had loads of Gaps in my knowledge at a more basic level from the N+ objectives etc, but doesn't sound too much of a jump. I can pick up what little bits I miss as I go hopefully. I have a couple of N+ books anyway so I will still have a read. Think I will just head straight for the CCENT cert though. :)

4. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Although the network+ and CCENT have similarites, the fundamentals are the same and they both teach the fundamentals.

I would agree with DryPlate when he says if your company wants it then go with the Cisco track and take full advantage of it!

If you are anything like me you will really enjoy the ccent and ccna exams! it so eye opening, especaily if you have done helpdesk/desktop support and always wondered what 255.255.255.0 means! lol

Good luck buddy!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would also advise that the CCENT route is great if you're a Cisco house but if you're not specifically using Cisco hardware you may find that the N+ is the cheaper of the two options, if at a later date you want to go down the Cisco route there is nothing stopping you sitting the single CCNA exam rather than the two CCENT exams.

Options are always better than having only a single path.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I'd get stuck right into the CCENT without delay! And don't worry about the CCENT expiry, you will have done the ICND2 well before that :)

...it's 3 years though, but don't wait that long :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
    jonny7_2002 likes this.
  7. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Further to this, with a valid CCNA you can do an online HP AIS Exam (HP2-Z18 ) to get the HP certification and obviously learn a different platform whereas without the CCNA you need to do the exam at an exam centre. So once you get rolling with one certification it will open up other options for you!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  8. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Thanks mate, I have already learnt a bit about subnetting, the joy that it is. but yeah, always good to understand stuff that previously was just meaningless numbers! lol.

Yeah we are most definately primarily a Cisco house here, hence them asking me to get to that standard and quickly. I may well end up sitting the single CCNA exam as opposed to the 2 seperate though, they just want me to prove I have theory down before letting me run riot on the physical stuff. lol.

I have monthly reviews planned though with the Network manager who will guage my knowledge and understanding each time to see how I am getting on.

Haha, I hope it doesn't take me 3 years to follow up on, as said I may well end up sitting the single exam as opposed to the 2 but time will tell.

Didn't know this, so good information to have. Certainly something that I will look into when I get that far. Another string to my bow etc.

Cheers :)

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I don't know how much the Net+ has changed from when I took it, but I there was a fair bit in there not covered by the CCENT. However, I believe the new Net+ doesn't cover much else apart from ethernet so maybe there isn't too much difference.
    The theory I'm finding pretty easy because I've covered it all before, subnetting in the head is done, just need to get up to speed on the IOS and I'll be ready. Hands-on seems to be the way forward for learning the IOS so hopefully your work can provide some bits of kit or a good simulator.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

This jogged my memory today so decided to log on and do the HP2-Z18 exam and passed!!! All at the measily price of $75!!!

GREAT!!8)

11. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Nice, first time I ever heard about these HP exams :)
    Did you find them easy, what level would you compare them too?
    How to prepare for them, etc, etc... :-)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  12. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

The AIS is just the foundation level HP networking exam so its not overly complicated....

If you are comfortable with configuration of HP switches - E-Series & A-Series it is a doddle.

There were a couple of questions which threw me but worked it out in the end! i just had a HP switch next to me all consoled up in case i forgot any commands!

Logged into the HP smart portal and subscribed for the documentation and then just used knowledge i had picked up of the past few months playing around with HP switches!