IBM ThinkCentre M50 8187 P4 3.0Ghz & 15" TFT Monitor £99 inc VAT & Delivery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craigie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi guys, just seen this deal for the following PC. Might be good for some cheap clients. Link here

[​IMG]

What am I buying? An IBM ThinkCentre M50 8187 desktop PC! & 15" Flat screen TFT Monitor
    Will it be Broadband and Internet compatible? Yes!
    What brand will it be? IBM
    What is the model? ThinkCentre M50 8187 SFF desktop / Monitor is any leading brand (the colour is black or silver)
    What processor will it be? Intel Pentium P4 3.0Ghz
    What RAM will it be? At least 512mb
    What Hard Drive will it have? At least 40Gb
    What ports will it have? USB, Ethernet, Headphone, Serial & possibly more!
    What type of CD Drive will it have? A built in CDROM drive (standard IDE)
    Will it have an Operating System? Windows XP Professional is installed & authentic Windows XP Professional License sticker is included.
    What condition is it in? Refurbished, so it may have some light marks/scratches to it.
    What's in the Box? ThinkCentre M50 8187 SFF desktop PC & 15" Flat screen TFT Monitor. The PC will be compatible with your current mouse & keyboard.
    What Warranty is there with it? 30 Day RTB (plus the balance of any outstanding manufacturers warranty)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

For £99 that's a damn good deal. Stick a copy of Tiny XP on it and it would really fly. I suppose the only hesitation I would have is if the hardware inside the case is proprietary like it often is in Dells. If it was then it could get expensive to swap a PSU etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nooooo, hope none of my customers see this! :biggrin

512MB of RAM? Slooooooooow!

Good for a test rig though :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Those machines would be a cheap thin client terminal, by using ThinIT :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

512Mb slow? Depends a great deal on the OS and what apps. Like I said, something like TinyXp and Office and it would run just fine. Besides, ram is dirt cheap and easy to upgrade, so it's a non issue. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  6. Sparky

Add any app and it will run slow. :tongue

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Mate if you can't get a P4 30.Ghz with half a gig to run stuff like office well, then you are doing something wrong. XP runs fine and dandy with 512MB. Back in the day people where even known to (sit down for this one) run it with 128MB!!!

Just to add, we have a few hundred PC's here at work with a similar spec that manage just fine. They even run programs! :)

8. Sparky

Each to their own mate. To be honest the slight delay when you open a word document when running 512MB of RAM would not bother me but I can assure you that some people want it to be quicker than that hence why I spec all PCs with at least 2GB RAM now.

Also when you look at some addtional applications the minimum spec can be 1GB of RAM, such as Sage Payroll. Couple that with Excel and Word running at the same time and then the PC can start to page consistently. Add AV to the mix and then the PC will really start to suffer.

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Most of machines at my work run this sorta spec and cope alright with Office 2003, Adobe, surfing the Intranet, Internet and using bespoke applications.

We are due for a tech refresh, but the new machines will only be slightly better.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5