I to get your first Job in IT if you don't have any experience!!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nascimep, Jul 2, 2007.

1. nascimep

nascimep New Member

Hi, guys

I don't have any work experience in IT but I have a degree in Business Information Technology where I have learnt lost of basic concepts from the different IT areas. What can I do? Please If you have a possible solution for the millions of new starters, tell us!!!

Certifications: HND, BSc
    WIP: A+, N+, CNNA
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'll need some more info before I part with my hard-earned, sage, world-wise advice.

Which area of IT would you like to work in? It's a pretty large field. Would you like to do support? Would you like to be a programmer? Would you like to work in IT sales?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't have any experience, get an entry-level IT job. Entry-level jobs, by definition, don't require experience as they are jobs in which you enter the field.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

Echoing on what Arroryn and BosonMicheal have said, figure out which part of IT you want to work in and pitch your CV towards that direction when applying for entry level jobs. If IT support is what you are after, try looking for jobs in schools (aswell as other places ofcourse) as they tend to take on people who are just starting out to gain some working experience. If you are looking for something in the programming area, you will need to write on your CV abit about any interesting programming projects you did whilst at uni.

I see there is a business orientation to your degree at uni. Unfortunately I cant give advice on that area. Have you tried your university. University career centres tend to be very helpful when it comes to helping you find an entry level job in your study area. Some companies use them to advertise to students. Did not use mine when i finished last year but they were very helpful with finding IT work placement half way through my course 3 yrs ago.

Another thing is to register with agencies and speak to an advisor about your background. Stay on the lookout for graduate schemes and contract rollout jobs(Once again schools are quite good for this as alot of work is carried out in the summer holidays when the kids are out, which sometimes requires extra help).

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now