I thought I'd say hello

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 12, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

3.594 post since I was last here :blink

I hope CF has stopped being an unofficial department of trading standards and place to complain about Frazer ****ing McKenzie.

Anyway I have been busy building systems and advising people on overclocking and purchasing hardware.

I had a bit of a situation with a customer where I built a system for and he then decided to overclock it after I had built it for him.

He asked me for advice on what he should do so I told him the basics, I also told him that what I was telling him could shorten the life of his system or brake it completely and that he does overclocking at hos own risk and has nothing to do with me if it goes wrong. He agreed to this and everything was fine and dandy or so I thought.

I got a phone call a few days later saying the pc was turning on but nothing was happening. I took the system of him tested everything and it turns out he had overvolted the thing when trying to overclock. There were burnt capacitors on the motherboard, the psu was smoking when I plugged it in and copper pipes on the cooler had burn marks on them :blink:D

He tried to blame me for it then I reffered him to the telephone conversation we had in which he agreed it was his fault. I returned the pc to him and said I can get you new parts and overclock it for you for a norminal fee but he hasn't contacted me yet.

Anyway good to be back although I'm not gone be on here as regular as I was as I very busy still.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

GBL!!!!!!! :D

Howdy partner. Glad you're still doing alright.

As for the customer complaints and F.M threads, yeah, they're dying down nicely.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. greenbrucelee

Ha lol, I have been reading through some of them. Hopefully we wont hear of it again.

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Glad to see you see you back mate, the build scene's been dead without ya ha ha

Where's NotesBloke hiding?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Knew you wouldn't be away for long. Place isn't the same without you!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. greenbrucelee

maybe he's on holiday or it was him I was having arguments with in regards to the QPI settings on the i7 CPUs.

I also got introduced to the i5 but thats top secret stuff all I can say is I am a bit dissapointed with it in regards to the i7

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

GBL,

You coming to a GTG in Scotland? We can all catch up then as well :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. greenbrucelee

when is it?

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Who are you again?

Good to see you back mate :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hasn't been decided yet, I think civil war is breaking out between the Edinburgh and Glasgow camps :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey buddy, I have the E8400 running at stock speed but with a proper heatsink, How did you get yours to 4GHz mate, I'm a bit new with overclocking but I like the idea of it being able to go that high.

Can you share some knowledge?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

welcome back dude. Good to have you back GBL. I just came back here myself recently too after finishing off my website :biggrin

-mallet

Certifications: MCP
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't you mean F***r ****ing Mc****ie? :biggrin

Oops. :) Looks like he's going to pay some Stupid Tax.

Welcome back, my friend!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. greenbrucelee

you need to get an aftermarket heatsink, I recommend the Tuniq Tower or the Zalman CNPS9700, you also need a decent power supply which I would reccomend the Seasonic M12 or S12 series or the Corsair HX series you must goe for 700w minimum.

Once you have that setup, you go into the BIOS and start adjusting the FSB, I have recently dropped mine to 3.91GHz because of higher ambient temps in the summer so I am now running the FSB at 433.02MHz x 9 which is 38917.19

you will also need to keep an eye on the RAM freqency as this will change due to the FSB being increased. If the frequency goes too low or too high then you may have stability issues.

When you overclock you should increase the FSB in small amounts say in increments of 10 each time you increase save the settings and see if it boots into Windows. If it does retry another increase once you have done it three times then you need to do a stress test with prime95 (download for free) you also need to monitor the temps which I recommend Real Temp (also free) you do not want the temperature of the cpu to go over 60 degrees c although the actual danger level of the the E8400 is 72.1 degrees C.

When/if you get a blue screen of death when you get into windows then this means you need to rais the voltage or drop the FSB back down (this is where a good PSU comes into play).

You will get a stable machine a somepoint but when doing a proper stress test you need to run prime 95 for about 7 hours plus run memtest86 for a few passes and also monitor the temps.

Email or PM me with your system specs and I'll do you a rough guide if the above is too much for you.

15. greenbrucelee

yeah saw your site, looks pretty good :)

Yep more work for me :) Thanks :D

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice to see you back dude!!, looks like you've been keeping busy...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. greenbrucelee

yep pretty much been building systems and racks day and night, apart from the odd stint on Arma2 the buggiest game since Shadow of the beast on the Amiga :D

18. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for taking the time to look at it :biggrin
    what is the work situation like right now for you? you been offered a post or learning up certs?

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  19. greenbrucelee

Just the same, building PCs overclocking them, building racks and waiting 24 hours for BT to get their arses in gear so I can switch ports, server work and my normal job.

Havent studied anything since I passed the 70-272.