I secured my first position!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Stuzzle, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

:D :D I did it!!!! I managed to secure my first position in I.T and with alot more exposure and salary than I was expecting.
    I first posted about my interview for a Junior IT Engineer position a month ago, well after 6 agonising days of waiting they said I didnt get the job but did make it into their shortlist, as though that made it any better.

Anyway, lucky for me, the guy they chose isn't taking to it too well and has decided to leave. So last night they had me in for one last chat and gave me the job then and there :D

It's a Junior IT Engineer position getting involved with pretty much everything they do, from fixing PC's to 24 point health checks to web backups to selling different components to the customer to everything really.

I'm looking forward to starting, and to growing my knowledge and hopefully been able to contribute more of that here :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds good, congrats.

Don't forget to report back on how it goes:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Congratulations on the new job :)

Hope you learn a lot and find it really enjoyable!.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  4. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations and well done :biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey well done m8 ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, congrats on the new job :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Happy days!

Well done mate 8)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats mate, let us know how you get on :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Well done on your job- hopefully it will be the first of many :D

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Congrats! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

congratulations

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  14. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats!:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  15. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Congratulations Stuzzle.

I would like to become a Junior IT Engineer also, could you tell me a little about your background (education, certification, work experience) and what sort of skills and experience they were asking for. Also what was the salary range?

Did you find out why the the new guy left so early?

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  16. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Congrats :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Excellent! Major congrats!

Just goes to show... not being selected first is NOT the end of the world... occasionally, you'll be given that second look!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats mate, that's excellent news!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

Congrats on getting the first job :D I had a similar lucky break too, when another guy got the job ahead of me but then pulled out... it just shows things can happen even if you don't get the job at first!

20. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Certainly mate. I have no previous commercial experience in computer's, just 8+ years personal experience with computers, which I was sure to mention on my CV. I also mentioned on my CV that I am currently studying for an A+. I have no previous education or certifications in IT, at college I did music technology, the only thing vaguely computing I have is 3 CIW certifications.

It is a junior role, where they originally were looking for someone with a little experience in computer repair etc who would also fulfill a sales (on their front counter) role, however the guy who originally was leaving, has now stayed and is their full time sales rep, so the role will marginally lean more towards the technical side.

At my original interview I was told that what worked well in my favour is my 5+ years of customer service experience (I also have a customer service NVQ mentioned on the CV) which was the biggest shock.

The guy they originally employed is a retired civil servant who after a few weeks has just decided the role isn't for him, he doesn't fancy a career with computers etc and found the stress too much as well apparently

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646