I saw this job advertised...but

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rax, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I posted back in November when I first got my current job and it's good. It's first Line tech support for a major bank and I'm enjoying it. However, the travel adds a couple of hours per day and costs me £120 per month, that's £1440 per year. Not exactly pennies!

I recently saw a job advertised in my city, this would reduce my travel time and expenses and could even increase my initial salary. It's still first line tech support and I think I "might" be in with a chance of getting it and if not, it's no real loss because I'm happy where I am.

The problem is, I only got the job I'm currently in back in November, this wouldn't look good on my CV if I left so soon AND I wouldn't want to have them know I'm already looking elsewhere.

I'm not really sure it's worth trying to move but the benefits of doing so are great...

What do you guys think?

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Wait to see if they offer you the new job first.

If they do, then go to your current employers and tell them that someone has offered you a job which pays a bit more and will mean less travel and costs each month. It's a lot of money to ignore so i'm sure that they will see this and will understand your position.

Tell them that you don't want to leave because you are happy in your job, but the savings that you can make are too large to ignore.

See what they come back with..

As for your CV, you can always explain that one. I'd only be worried if you keep chopping and changing on a regular basis.

It's always a toughie to change what you are doing, but if you are anything like me then the travelling for a couple of hours a day will be a big issue. I hate driving in traffic.

Carl :D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea, I was more concerned about putting down my new employers as a reference.. If they were called up and asked to give me a reference, they would know I've been applying for other jobs.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Employers usually don't ask for a reference until you have been offered the job, as this can cause problems at your current work place.

good luck with what you decide to do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?