I really need an IT job.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dino66uk, Jun 9, 2010.

1. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

Hello there,

I have been constantly studying for over 2 years now, I have very much enjoyed the challenge of learning something new and looking foreward to a new career in computer networking.

About a year ago i passed my compTIA A+ exams, and thought i could break into the IT industry, Applied to loads of jobs, got a few interviews and didnt really get anywhere.

I have recently passed the ccent(icnd1), and really want an IT job now.
    Although after being out of work for over a year my motivation/confidence levels are low.

Where should i start?
    • Agencys
    • voluntry work
    • entry level job
    I feel i need a new lease of energy to find a job and i just cant find it.

Any help will be much apprecited.

Regards
    Dean

Certifications: A+ CCENT
    WIP: ICND 2
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should use all of those and do the N+ and MCDST which in my opinion you should have done before doing CCENT.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

You should do what everyone is doing i.e. all of that that you said.
    Do you have any work exoerience at all? If you don't then that is the biggest problem for you.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  4. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

Keep a look out for Apprenticeships - The pay will suck but it will only be for a couple of years and at least you will have got your foot in the door and will be in a position to gain internal promotion.

On a side note - I really wouldn't bother persuing ICND 2 to achieve your CCNA until you have some solid experience. Employers won't touch you without experience irrespective of your certs. Unfortunately IT is a real Chicken or Egg industry!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello mate.
    Just as many people already have said here, all of those you have mentioned.

I have done IT work in the past, I even have been self-employed in the past but can't prove it as the work carried out was abroad and yet I haven't even got one interview whatsoever mate.

It's hard out there especially under the current climate but persistency is the key here.

I have done my CCNA almost a year ago now, have been applying for entry level jobs but nothing. The thing of it is that one need to show what one know to someone and hopefully get their eye.

I wish you all the best and keep on looking mate as it will happen eventually.

Have you thought about doing some computer repairs around where you live? I do quite a few now and then.

Take care.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  6. Len

Len Byte Poster

Who can live on £2.50 an hour, really?

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  7. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

Well it wouldn't be £2.50 an hour would it because that's no where near the national minimum wage. The point I'm making is that everyone has to start at the bottom and work up. I started my apprenticeship when I was 18 on 10k a year. Now I'm on over three times that and still working for the same company, so the two years I spent on crap money have paid off.

Also, whatever dino would earn on an apprenticeship would be 100% more than what he would doing voluntary work!

8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

That is good but last year i applied to an IT apprenticeship with over 500 applicants, they are just as hard to get as normal jobs.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

unfortunately most apprenticeships are for under 25's due to government funding, also if you already have one or more of the qualifications that the apprenticeship covers you tend to get turned down as most apprenticeship vetting is carried out by training providers on behalf of the company.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I completely agree but if you have little or no experience at least if you apply for an apprenticeship you are competing for a position along side people at the same level as you.

11. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Be-An-Apprentice/Who-are-they-for.aspx

"Apprenticeships are open to all age groups above 16years-old whether you are just leaving school, have been working for years or are seeking to start a new career."

12. supernova

most normal IT jobs get near that or more at the moment. jobs online tend to get 50-100 applicants from each job site , it all adds up.

There are a lot of redundant people at the moment retraining for IT not realising that finding a job isn't going to be any easier.

I know of one position non IT that had over 250,000 applicants.

13. supernova

no they are not! Because most places will only take on under 25's because they get the training fully funded by the government, for over 25 they don't, therefore, apprenticeships for people 25 or over are non existent or very very rare.

14. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

You say "no they are not" but the Apprenticeships website says "yes they are"....

15. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Someone who used to be in HR told me that I was wasting my time on job boards. It is ineffective way of looking for a job. Instead, network like mad and visit job boards in your free time.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  16. supernova

Like i said the government fully funds training for the under 25's, over 25's are partly funded (however, the pot is empty) the rest is paid by the company or out of the apprentices own pocket. Therefore, most places are only open to the under 25's

it would nice to think that anyone could get this, but in the real world its not the case

I have seen this and been told by the training providers

looks like they have been told to remove this, however, i know for a fact that most colleges, QA, zenos and the likes will only take on under 25's.

17. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Im in almost the same situation, though I did have an Interview last Friday for a Desktop Support Technician role. Still waiting to hear back I might add.

All I can suggest is dont let things get you down, keep applying, Agencys, Websites (Monster, CWJobs etc) and miost of all, just dont give up. All it needs is that one bit of luck.

18. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

Thanks for all youre positive and negatavie reply's. Im just going to have to try harder and be more enthusiastic.

Certifications: A+ CCENT
    WIP: ICND 2
  19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

IT isn't easy to get into took me 8 years with a 3 year break because I was so pissed off. Keep trying you will get there eventually.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. supernova

Yeah keep trying I just would'nt put all your eggs in one basket spread yourself around much as possible.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010