I quite like my job but I am not earning enough to survive...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont know what to do about this, I do like my job and my team but the wage is poor. The crazy thing about all of this is I do a higher level of support than I did at my previous job, work more hours yet paid less. The job itself has not really been what was originally advertised. Dont get me wrong I am grateful for the experience I’ve obtained, but truth be told Im not paid much more than someone working a fulltime retail gig. Do you think if I explained my financial concerns to my boss it would be cheeky of me?

I have already started looking elsewhere which is abit devastating as I dont really want to be classed as a job hopper but it is quite demeaning when I work my butt off doing things no one else in the company can do, and getting paid absolute peanuts.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would be surprised if you get a pay increase because of your financial situation.

If you want to speak to your boss you need to highlight what additional tasks you are completing successfully and always say you are willing to take on these tasks. Again if you mention that it wasn’t in your job description that will not go down well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

A few questions to ask yourself:

1) Do you feel like you have much more to offer based on your current skill set?
    2) Are there any quantitative metrics at your workplace which measure your performance against your peers? If so, how well are you doing in comparison?
    3) Have you done any research on the average market salary for your job role?

Nowadays, I feel that the more considerable pay increases are gained when moving jobs. I don't think employers pro-actively give pay increases every year in line with inflation.

To gain a raise in salary you really need to prove your worth; granted, it can sometimes be difficult to demonstrate this to your employer. Personally, before raising this with your line manager, I would create a bullet point list of all the extra work you do and what value you bring and evidence supporting this. If you find out that there is no scope for a pay rise, see if there is another role you could move to within the same company or start looking elsewhere.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I'm going to go backwards a step, you accepted this role at the salary offered, why?? You don't move roles for less money unless there is a goal in mind.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

1. Learn stuff that you find interesting and has market value
    2. Work out how to achieve maximum value from said skill set
    3. Go to step 1

Don't bother arguing with your current boss, either you have a low value skill set or your current boss is not a way to achieve maximum market value. Bosses that pay poorly deserve to be rewarded with a resignation letter.

Step 4. (Optional) Cut your expenditure to the bone so you can afford to do less of steps 1 and 2.

CFTest likes this.
  6. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Ekhm, you did know how much you will be earning when you accepted the job?

7. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

How much were you earning in your previous position?

8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yes however it was stated after X amount of time pay would dramatically increase providing probation was passed. The 3 people who joined with me have also not recieved the rise and we all passed probation 6+ months ago. The work has increased but not the pay, I mentioned this to my boss and he basically said he knows the pay isnt up to scratch but hes trying to get it sorted but basically they dont have the budget to pay me what they’d like but thanked me for my loyalty and gave me a handshake.

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

When I started my career I accepted a job on the basis of passing probation and getting a rise to an acceptable pay level.
    I made it a term that my salary would increase by £3000 if I passed probation.
    Needless to say they didn't honour the agreement, I mentioned this to them and they said they were sorry,
    I said I was sorry too, and handed in my notice.

I went and got a job on an extra £12000 pa, they had to recruit a new person and pay them the proper market rate.

Don't work at a place where they don't keep their word.

10. Sparky

Ask for a meeting – would be good to know the facts from them to why they can’t or won’t offer the payrise.

If you want more wonga be prepared to leave.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Just to update this, I have a few interviews lined up for a new positions which pays considerably more than my current place and workload appears to be either the same or less, so fingers crossed!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    dmarsh and JK2447 like this.
  12. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

That's the spirit! Very best of luck

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Juelz likes this.
  13. Sparky

Best of luck with the interviews mate.

Juelz likes this.