I Passed the 70-272

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Island3r, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Hi All, just thought i would share my first pass in a M$ exam. I was a bit nervous going into it, but settled down and got through it.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to say what the big topics were (there was a suprising one), so can someone let me know, and then i will share it with you all.

So thats one down and one to go. I would be greatful for any useful sites, practice tests, books, etc (most of them free will be even better!!!) for 70-271.

I'm using a Exam Cram 2 book, as i've been doing the whole XP Support thing for a few years now so i'm just using it as a refresher. I've got the XP inside Out Deluxe 2nd Edition as well, so i can have a look at some things in more detail.

I'm hoping to take this test in about 2 months time, i'm going to get my head down and start doing some serious reading. If i don't do it then, the Football (soccer) world cup will be starting and that will be a major distraction to me!!

Anyway people, until next time :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Come on England time to win the cup!! :biggrin

oh and congrats on the pass!! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats! :biggrin

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done, mate. I expect you can discuss generally the areas of content in your exam - as long as you do not breach the Non-Disclosure Agreement you entered into by sitting the exam :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

Congratulations :thumbleft

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003
  7. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Thanks Guys!!

So the topics, there were the usual : IE, MS Outlook, Outlook Express, but then there were loads on ICF and Remote Desktop. That suprised me a bit but, luckily i had been tweaking ICF for various remote software at work the same week so it was still fresh in my head.

So, thanks again. Oh, any tips, important topics to give extra study time to will be appreciated

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  8. adnanz

adnanz New Member

Hi Island3r, i want to pass the 70-272, i will be grateful to you if you help me about.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if you havent been supporting xp (and i think even if you have) you might want to get the ms press self-paced training book (i believe there is a second edition) and from Island3r says the Win Xp inside out.. setup yourself a lab and away you go!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

:thumbleft M$ offers a good free online.offline clinic https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/courseDetail.aspx?courseId=26272

Also if you search the M$ site for self assesments, there are a few XP and Office XP ones, the best thing is at the end of it you get a promo code that gives you a discount on the exam voucher!!

I was and still am learning on a small budget so, I've downloaded a few demo practice exams that have between 5 & 20 questions. Self Test and MeasureUp are the best.

But you also get practice questions with most study guides.

But most of all hands on experience, you can't beat hands on experience

Good Luck Dude :thumbleft

11. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

Well done mate, I just recently passed the 70-272 also (1000/1000 score :)). I actually got my MCP Welcome pack today, I'm wearing the badge right now! No really! ;)

So how many questions did it throw at you?

I've got the 70-271 booked for May 5th so I'm currently hammering the books and CBT Nuggets. I don't think it will pose too much of a problem as the content for both exams overlap so much.

adnanz: It's definitely worth taking a look at the MS Press books. You can pick them up pretty cheap on Amazon (well, cheap compared to a book store anyway...) and they come with the MeasureUp practice exams. Also, budget permitting, the CBT Nuggets have been great for both exams.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  12. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Cheers MonkeyWrench, well done to you too - 1000/1000 very impressive! i had 50 questions, wot about u?

about the welcome pack how did you get it, i did my exam 3 weeks ago today and i've not recieved any email to say i've passed. i emailed Pearson Vue, who i booked my exam through and they said that they would email the results to M$ again, but thats been a week also.

Could you point me in the direction of the CBT Nuggets MCDST page, i've had a look but can't seem to find it. It seems to be good training material, i mean come on if it helped you get 1000/1000 it must be good!

13. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

Yeah same here. I did mine at Pearson Vue also so I guess it's the standard amount for that exam.

Regarding the welcome pack. First I got an email from PU saying I had passed and that the details would be passed on to MS. I then received an email from MS shortly after with my MCP ID which is needed to become an MCP member. Once you've signed up you can request your welcome pack.

I can't seem to find any mention of the MCDST nuggets on the official site, but google threw up this link:

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=236

So have you got you 70-271 booked yet?

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  14. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Thanks for the cbt link. i think i will give m$ a few more days as i've recieved the email from PV, with my MCP ID but they said M$ will email the access code shortly.

i've not booked the 70-271 yet, but it needs to be done b4 the Word Cup!!

Have a good weekend mate :morebeer