I passed my 70-270 exam

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by sangstar, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

hi everyone, i took my 70-270 exam this morning, and passed with 810.
    question started off okay, first and last 10/15 were okay, i found the middle i had to really think about. The wording sometimes threw me off.

id done alot of mock exams and reading for this, completing the microsoft handbook, sybex and various testing engines that i can find. my twin sis also did this exam and she revised using a brain dump, but i didnt wanna remember answers and not understand why it was the right answer; she scored 857, higher than me.

i feel kinda gutted, and i would have liked to know what i got wrong, and why, as it helps me know why and what i need to work on, the print out with the objectives bar chart is quite broad. but im consoling my self as i learnt the 'right' way to understand the 'whys', because my sis said most of her questions were from her reading.

is a pass of 810 good?

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, MCSA: Server 2012
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass and remember a pass is a pass as no one in a job interview would ask you your score. One last thing well done for learning the legit way:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Imagine that someone hands you an XP boxen. The box is a PIII 800 that was recently upgraded from Windows ME by adding more RAM and then slapping XP on it. The owner complains that it used to shut down when it ran 98, but since the upgrade to XP he has to manually nail the power button at the end of the shut down to power the 'puter off.

Do you know how to fix that?

If you do, stop worrying about the exam score. :)

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  5. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Upgrade the BIOS to support ACPI ?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass, a score of 700 or above is great. To pass cheating and getting a higher score vs passing by studying properly, I know which one I would go for (yes the studying properly one :biggrin ).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Bambino1506

Congrats on the pass mate, thats a decent score and nothing to be worried about.

Besides, a pass is a pass.

8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You're headed in the right direction. It could be ACPI, but more likely it's an APM issue given the age of the system and the symptoms displayed (ACPI does some strange things, but I've not found shut down issues to be common). Here's the order I would do things in:

1. Check the Event Viewer. If there are APM issues it will show up like a rash in the System log as Windows talks to the power mgmt subsystem a lot.

2. Check the Power Options tool in Control Panel. There are a lot of neutral systems where XP installs APM support, but does not enable it by default. Probably 3/4 of the instances where the system won't shut down properly are due to APM not being enabled in the APM tab of Power Options.

3. Finally, check your BIOS settings. If someone has been futzing around with them the APM settings may be a bit buggered.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. Bambino1506

Thanks for the info NH.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass mate. Well done.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

ok ive just dealt with this a little while ago while using a family members computer, in addition it was taking ages to display the startup menus (explorer.exe process) after starting up.
    what i did was check the power settings, this was a apm issue. after sorting this, i ran disk checker for errors& auto fix enabled checked, restarted because it wont run while the disk is in use, then finally defragmented drive c. its sorted now.

i cant disclose what i got on my exam as microsoft say, but i got some b##t##d ones!!

thanks for your comments everyone.

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Congratulations on the pass!. It must feel good :)

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well done on the pass … Congrats :clap

16. silentjess

silentjess Bit Poster

:) its good score, better than me!

for that qns posted, i actually wanted to repair the system with xp cd. could be OS prob, could be any of the device drivers loaded. then later, try to f5 for the HAL.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE
  17. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

for the laptop i was working on it was to do with acpi, but no updated drivers, each time windows update was running it would only download critical, so i downloaded the correct driver. the bios was fine and the HAL was already ACPi compatible.

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the pass. :thumbleft

Don't worry about the score that your sister got. At the end of the day when you need to actually do something to fix a pc, you'd be able to do it and she won't.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685