I need some advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ophelia, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Hello people!

I am thinking of moving to UK in order to get an job in the IT Sector.
    I have A BSc in Computer Science and right now i am finishing my Postgraduate studies.
    Does the master's degree count as a plus? I don't have a lot of commercial experience (1,5 year) in html, CSS and Photoshop. BUT i have academic experience in ASP.NET/ C# - My master thesis is in ASP.NET/C#/SQL, and also my BSc final project was made with the same technologies. Will this count as a plus? I am not saying that i am very good but i think that i have a basic understanding with these concepts. I was thinking of getting certified but it is a lot of money and i cannot afford it.
    I see many graduate jobs in websites like cw/reed etc but there are so many applicants and i am not sure if i have a chance of getting a job. And also i see that some people say that there are many scam ads. Sorry for my English. It's not my native language.

Any advice?

:)

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Perhaps apply for the roles and see whether you get any interest? With the job situation as it is, you won't find many jobs without 100+ applicants, that applies to the IT Datacentre as well as the '£1 Stores' 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Thank you for you answer. Right now i am not living in the UK. And i think that it is better to come in the UK and then search for a job. What about Graduate Jobs? I am 26 an am now finishing my postgraduate studies. Do you think that i am old for graduate jobs? And also what is the difference between a graduate/trainee and internship ?

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Most people enter university in the UK aged 18 and leave when they are 21, if they do a 4 year combined masters when they are 22.

So yes you are a little older than the average graduate, you are still younger than most of the UK workforce.

Intern-ships and graduate schemes differ from scheme to scheme.

Generally intern-ships are low paid or voluntary schemes for students during holidays or shortly after graduation, the idea being they allow them to prove what they can do and get basic workplace experience.

Graduate training schemes tend to have more of a roadmap and can involve moving graduates around various business units within an organisation to get a feel for the organisation as a whole.

5. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Well in my country you finish university at 22-23 -best case scenario- + 1-2 years for masters degree. So i think that it is better to search for graduate schemes. I know that the most jobs are in London... Which other cities have a lot of it jobs?