I need some advice regarding two books.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Stuka, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Hi all.

I've been revising for the A+ Essentials/602 exams for roughly one week now.

I've got two books, the first is the infamous Jean Andrews mammoth read, "A+ 2006 in Depth" which is over 1100 pages, the other book is Mike Meyer's Passport: A+ Third Edition, which is something like 600+ pages.

I've started working through the massive Jean Andrews book, but I couldn't help thinking that I'm wasting my time with this beast of a book, when I have Mike Meyer's book, which is noticable smaller, sat gathering dust.

All I want to know, from experienced readers of these two books....is there enough material in the Mike Meyer's book (Third Edition) to pass the Essentials and 602 (Technicians) exam? Or should I stick to Jean Andrews 1100+ page book, which I'm told offers more diverse and detailed descriptions?

I'm wanting to cut out the middleman, so to speak. I just don't want to waste what'll seem a lifetime reading a 1100+ page book when I could have read a smaller book in half the space of time.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Cheers all.

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, here's the deal. The Passport series of books are not meant to be the primary information source for a certification exam. Their purpose is, once you've absorbed the information from a massive tome like the Andrews book or Meyers' "All-In-One" Study Guide, you keep the "high points" sharp in your head by reviewing the Passport book.

The Passport book all by itself, really won't be enough to help you pass (unless you are really, really familiar with the material to begin with). Do yourself a favor...knuckle down and learn the ins and outs of the material from the Andrews book (she's kind of dry, but she knows her stuff...on the other hand, Meyers knows his stuff and he's really entertaining, so the All-In-One book might be an easier read), then when you're getting ready to test, use the Passport book.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I can't say anything more than what Trip has said other than to agree with it. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

My response to such a question is: Do you want to learn as much as you can for your future, or do you just want to pass a test that gives you a piece of paper that you think will get you a job?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Trip, the Mike Meyers all in one guide 6th edition is the best and it is longer than the Jean andrews book by 36 pages but its worth the read.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thanks so much for the info, guys.

Yeah, I had a feeling that the Passport book was for "exam revision" only so to speak. I certainly want to learn for my future career and not just wave a piece of paper around saying "hey, I'm A+ certified!"

I'm about 50 pages into the Jean Andrews book, so I'm just going to plod along with that, I don't really want to fork out for yet another massive book like the MM All-in-One, even though it sounds like a good read, I think I'm too far into the JA book to start reading something different all over again.

Cheers for the advice, I appreciate it.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just to add Trips book PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles is another good book, he is just too modest to mention it himself.

Its focussed on the year in the life of a PC Tech and has exercises in it that you can practice such as installing hard drives and other hardware to tweaking Windows and setting up user account etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thanks, greenbrucelee.

I'm just going to stick to JA book for now, then I'll jump onto the MM Passport book when the foreboding exam is near!