I need help from the known not the unknown!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by RJ-Hall, Oct 28, 2010.

1. RJ-Hall

RJ-Hall New Member

Hi all I have joined today as I am in need of some help. I am looking at taking the database administrator qualification with computeach. I would really prefer to learn classroom based however they only offer online training.

They quoted me £79 per month pay as I go structure, they said as soon as 6 months I could be in employment. Now I really want to get within the IT industry but worried I am getting my hopes up to soon through whats been said by computeach if I do decide to go ahead today.

Please may some very helpful truthful people tell me whether this is a goer:D or noer:(! all opinions and thoughts welcomed folks.

2. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

quick note: as i'm working

Don't commit to them today (training providers are sales people trying to get you to join them, although they aren't all bad. If you do go with a training provider try get as much info on them as possible i have heard some horror stories).

GREAT MOVE JOINING CERT FORUMS!!! WELCOME

i spent alot of time on these forums looking for the same answers as you and went with self study for the courses i chose (before joining CF i was pretty set on classroom training). The CF members are very helpful and informative
    spend a bit of time getting information, research you different options and then decide (don't get rushed by someone on the phone, they will still be there tomorrow)

cheers

edit: and search these forums for previous posts. thats where i found most my info

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

I agree, I was in the same situation this time last year not having any certs Or experience in IT industry and was going to take course with a training provider . ., then referred to CF and after some very good and helpful advice . . decided to self study and got some basic certs (e.g A+, Networks+, etc) and then moved on to MCDST while applying for jobs. I got my first job in IT last month. Choose whats best for you but also choose the right path towards getting there. .
    Oh!! and welcome to CF :)

just take a look at this thread - http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34792

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  6. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF...I went with a training provider (but wish I hadn't )recommend self study thats what im doing for my n+ :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  7. RandyFears

RandyFears Bit Poster

I don't really want to get drawn into slating any training provider, however, i can give you my own experience of Computeach which i hasten to add was many moons ago so i can't tell you how they are these days. I did a "Business and Systems Analysis", course with them way back in the day lol i think about 1998. I took out out one of the learning development type loans after a sales guy (nice guy but sales right ;)) came to my house and pretty much promised the full "we will get you a job once you qualify". Suffice to say that there was no job at the end of it.

However, in fairness, they did have an active job search department of the school that did seem to genuinly look for jobs. At least they did when i went in on one of the few "school attendences", that was required (and really not necessary). Thing is, as anybody here will rightly tell you it's all about the experience not the magic qualification and job placement. Sadly it is no longer the boom days of IT where there were so many jobs and not enough qualified people to do the work and placements were aplenty. I remember when a number of my mates left the Forces at the same time as me and did their Microsoft through Amraf (now bust) and did get placements but like i say that was back in the day ;)

There are much cheaper alternatives if you do wish to do it through a school. Did my CCNA through the Open University for about £600+ i think? Only did that rather than self study as it was 60 points on my degree and to be honest worth doing solely for the Tutor Marked Assignments where i learnt a hell of a lot (mostly where i was going wrong!). Local colleges are another one but to be honest like a lot of guys (myself included) there are so many freely available resources around (i don't mean dumps guys!) and good prices on amazon, registerbooks etc that self study is pretty much the best way if you are comfortable doing that. It's cheaper and you can go at your own pace and really concentrate more on getting the work experience which is the really hard part of breaking into any IT Realm.

Maybe Computeach has changed since my day but to be honest it is most likely that i have changed ;)

Hope this helps

Certifications: never enough
    WIP: so many and so little time
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Self-study is the way to go. :)

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!