I nearly DIED!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Dec 1, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

right I wont beat about the bush I will get straight to it.

Yesterday morning (wednesday) i woke up at 8.30am. Got meself ready to go and buy some stuff from the computer shop not far from me. However over the last month or so my PSU fan has been making really loud noises. Now me being the clever ar$e i put a nail into it to stop the fan for a few seconds then let it spin again and it was quiet (I had been doing this only in the last couple of days mind!!) but today I got really hacked off...so I did it again...this time I waited about 20-30 seconds...not realising how far I pushed the nail when...............BANG!!!! :eek: PSU blown....I thought oh no not today not now!!! please not not today...but then I thought hold on I am on my way to the PC shop so can just pick up a PSU from there...which I did. brought it back home installed it (oh and yes I did instantly remove the blown PSU straight after it blew)...so installed the new one..turned on the PC......nothing!! I was devasted...so I unplugged everything apart from the two cables going to the mobo...turned it on and again nothing...at this point I was on the verge of :cry: it was that bad I nearly rang work to say I am not coming in..if they had asked when will I be expected back...I would have said not until after Xmas cos of the amount of therapy I was going to need...

But then alas!!! I had noticed that my two monitor lights were not blinking (cos they do when I turn off the PC as they are on standby) not only that the surge protection socket was turned on but didnt appear to be producing any electricity...so I removed the power cable for the PC plugged it directly into the wall turned on the PC again.....WAHEY!!! SUCCESS!!! :biggrin :D I was overjoyed thinking I had fried my entire system and all that time the surge protection socket actually did its job and kept them safe but in the process sacrificed its own life. So I went and bought a new one and everything is now ok...

But I have to say it was the worst ordeal I have ever had to go thru in my life...if the PC had been fried I would have taken it with me and jumped out my window with it...thats how precious she is to me...i know its sounds sad but thats me...just thought I would let u all know...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Neal, the moral of the story is... Do not put nails into your PSU case, either through the fan or any other vent hole. Ye gods!

You were lucky, you could have been electrocuted and then you would have died :eek:

The cage is to protect PC techs from the high voltages that are present inside. Mains voltage 240V AC is in there and that can kill.

If you absolutely must stick things in PSU fans, at least use something which isn't an excellent conductor of electricity. A toothpick would have been much safer :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know I was silly to do that...and I admit it was swrong...but I dont have any toothpicks...but I think its time I invested in them...I dont mind being told off for what I did and it was my fault but if I can be honest I wish it was me who went and not the PC (if it didnt work that is!!) but thank God we're both ok...but its how we learn in the field (well obviously not like that!!!)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not telling you off Neil, what you do is entirely up to you. I was making the point so that you and other readers of this thread would be aware of the danger and potential for electric shock, inside the PSU case.

I am glad you and your beloved are both alive, kicking and posting again :D

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

cheers mate...but I cant stop laughing cos twice u got my handle wrong!! you first called me Neal...then Neil...its N-O-E-L.....:hahaha

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Noel oh crap I am sooo sorry mate, I must learn peoples names properly. I get them wrong in the real world too. My wife isn't to impressed when I get hers wrong in a moment of passion :eek:

Neal's name is Noel
    Neal's name is Noel
    Neil's name is Noel too
    Neil's name is not Neal it's Noel
    Neal's name is not Neil it's Noel too

Getting there :biggrin

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

man...I wonder trip would say to that...Im trying to think what you could possibly call her instead of her name!!! its not worth thinking about....:eek:

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Rest in Peace Surge Protection Socket! :biggrin

9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

You are hilarious, Bluerinse! :biggrin

WIP: N+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Not too clever if you ask me.:dry Even my 4 year old knows better than to stick things in holes where electricity lives.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

it's called bucking bronco folks, a fairly fun game if you've got the balls to pull it off!

R.I.P surge plug too, but tut tut neil/neal/noel, silly putting metal things in there!

might as well lick the mains cabling!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  12. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

You're kidding, right?

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  13. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

thank god it's not just me *G*

I found it a tad disturbing that a simple h/w problem on a piece of kit that'll be obsolete in a few years caused so much mental anguish and drama...

perspective alert please

... oh, and sticking yer fingers in a psu ... tut tut tut...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes ok people...I know...it was completely stupid of me...but hey the bottom line is I got a new PSU (which was going to happen at some point!!) and its very quiet...it has a big ar$e fan underneath it and is very quiet...not bad for a 550W for £32....:biggrin...altho I wasnt happy when they didnt have 600W...wanted to push the boat out a bit there...

EDIT: i said £2 if only...

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

LOL im still laughing my ass off that you thought it clever to stick a nail into a PSU

there was a kid at my mates school who stuck a compass in a mains socket, 3rd degree burns, and took out power to the science block

funniest shite ever!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Repeat after me:

I love you, *darling*.
    I love you, *darling*.
    I love you, *darling*.
    I love you, *darling*.
    I love you, *darling*.

"Darling" is a very acceptable generic name so you don't *have* to remember her name correctly in a moment of passion. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:hahaha just what I was expecting Trip...hope ur taking notes Bluerinse...your gonna need this help...

18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Glad for APC then? :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Strange that you should mention it Trip, but your wife and mine seem to have the same name.:ohmy

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Don't suppose we can get back to pointing at NoelG's staggering muppetry again, can we ? I was enjoying that !! :tongue

j/k (kinda) Noel/ Neal/ Kneel/ .......:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity