I hope 2011 is better than 2010 for me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Dec 24, 2010.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

What a day, week, month, year!

Told my TL a few weeks ago I was interested in a Security Manager role based closer to home, he was fine. Told his boss and she went berserk! Said I hadn't given them the chance to do anything about it and that I'd really let her down :S Fair dues I should have expressed I wasn't feeling challenged in my present role but I was on the back foot for the whole conversation because I've not seen this side of her before.... basically a nightmare day to end an tumultuous year. The worrying thing is that I haven't even had an interview for the new role yet so talk about pressure......

I had to get that off my chest. Merry Christmas all.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

She got angry because you want to improve your job?

Wait till she finds out all of her staff think like that lol

It does sound like a bit of an odd reaction to me

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  3. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Take it with a grain of salt. Don't let her reaction bring you down. It's better you have someone who wants to progress rather then someone who is just happy to do the same thing day in and day out without ever think of what the next challenge can be.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  4. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

2010 was a **** year for me I hope 2011 would be better. LOL 2010 could have being worest. Oh well life is unfair

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've had similar female managers in the past, basically you are creating work for her as she can no longer use you as a resource. Since its an internal position I think its a little unprofessional of her.

6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Don't worry about it JK, in my first IT job I got the same reaction (exact the same words as you got actually) - an absolute roasting because I had "applied" for another job. Safe to say, when my manager calmed down and asked what it would take for me to stay, the damage had already been done by the prior outburst and I just said "sorry but i'm sticking with my decision regardless of what money you offer me"

Here's to 2011 JK and Gents.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Bugger it JK, she's in the wrong for her reaction! If the position your in no longer satisfies you, then it's just tough luck for her! Best of luck with it, enjoy your Christmas!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

She sounds like a right nutter! :rolleyes:

Anyways have a few beers and chill out over the Xmas break. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe she has PMT :)

I hope 2011 is better for me too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. JK2447

Thanks for the kind words gang. I'm normally up for a good "discussion" but because my boss has always been great I was really caught off guard, particularly with it being Christmas eve! Like Phoenix is always saying, this employment melarky is a 2 way street. I was worried I'd burned my bridges telling them (just trying to stay honest) I intended to apply for another role but now I've had time to think of it, them burning their bridges with me is more accurate as I'm definitely going now, one way or another.

On another note, Kindle! Blooming awesome, love it!!!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hey JK hope you had a good Christmas Day with you and yours.

At the end of the day, maybe the boss went off on one because no, she doesn't react professionally or positively to your news, and she values you as a resource, basically, as DMarsh says, and doesn't want to face the stress of hunting for someone as good as you to fill the role.

Something I've lived by now since my change in the summer, is "the only person you have to live with for the rest of your life is yourself." if your job role isn't fulfilling, and isn't what you need to progress through your career then you need to do what is best for yourself, screw what she says (in the most diplomatic way possible of course :biggrin)

You'll storm the interview - you always do. Good luck and much hugs :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah that are great aren't they! If you haven't already, get yourself Calibre. It's great for converting eBooks from other formats to Kindle native. It's also brill for creating free newspapers and suchlike. It scans the web and turns new into an eBook which it can then send yo your Kindle.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. JK2447

Fantastic mate, I got that case with the light too. Looking forward to doing some reading on the train this week. Just bought the Steig Larrson trilogy :) I'll check calibre out, thanks mate

14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Oh that sooo shows that you're excellent in what you do... and a great person too... also very ready / likely to get the role you are going for.

Good luck.

Don't worry about your TL's boss - unprofessional, but there might be a reason if you say it's out of character? (like you're a great team member and she'll be upset to see you go) Leave her to it, she'll most likely be full of well wishes when you move on. Take it as a bizarre compliment, and enjoy moving onwards and upwards!

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  15. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Sometimes a boss may also become upset like this because they really like you/enjoy working with you.

My boss at a company I left in 2007 was really unhappy to see me leave. It was also a tough choice for me to make as he became a very good friend.

Well... He work for Microsoft as well now and we've remained excellent friends and colleagues. But sometimes the "reaction" is a sentimental one...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  16. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

after one "adventure" with my ex boss (when I told this **** I am leaving) in the past I told myself: no sentiments, no friendships with boss, no matter how nice and politely boss will be for you will most of the time treat you like his/her bitch and will shag you up in the ass when the time comes
    I have one life and I will do with it what I want

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7