I have this friend

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by greenbrucelee, May 14, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

who is a cleaner and she is wanting to find out if self study is possible for the ECDL and NVQ level 1,2 & 3 in business administration.

If not does anyone know of any places that offer cheap on-line courses. Like I said she is a cleaner so does not have very much money to be able to afford and expensive course, she is 20 years old so does not qualify for any freebies (that I know off) as she works 30 or 40 hours a week.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Does she have any computer experience at all? Perhaps you could get together with her when she's free and teach her what you know so she could get a bit of a taster for things? It may also be worth getting her to (or looking for her) look at local college or school adult education courses - they sometimes do some of them for free or at a very reasonable rate...I guess it also depends on how much she wants it...but if you could at least give her a taste - help her decide?...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. greenbrucelee

she is quite competent at using office etc, she told me that she looked into doing business admin levels 1,2 & 3 at the local college during the day but they wanted 3k :blink for it which I thought was outrageous to be honest.

She can't do it at a night class due to her work duties, so she wants something that she can do at her own pace. She is going to have a look and learn direct with the job centre but from experience I know that they give people who are out of work free courses then charge someone who works extortionate amounts to pay for the same course.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Check out your local college or your local learndirect centre for doing the ECDL, as they would be the cheapest places.

I believe that you use to be able to do up to NVQ level 2 thru class based assessments, but I'm pretty sure that you have to be in the job role now for that (but I'm not 100% sure), again I would advise to either contact your local college or learndirect centre.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

-Ken

p.s. you may also want to check out Vision2Learn, here.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

3k WOW that's crazy!

Still worth her going to the job centre as you never know...sorry - wish I could suggest more :(
    Good luck to her anyway!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  6. greenbrucelee

Cheers Ken

The vision 2 learn thing is more what she is looking for, I'll pass on the info along with what you have said about learn direct.

Cheers

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

ECDL is no problem with self-study. There are a number of books available for it.

All you need is a PC with Office on for practice.

Things to watch for: Find a place that will do the exams near you and ask them which version of Office they use for the exams. Then get the book for that version. And you need to choose whether Outlook or Outlook Express is in the final exam.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. greenbrucelee

Cheers Harry, I'll let her know that ECDL is easily done by self study and tell her to get in touch with the local technical college to see if they will let her sit the exam (although I have a feeling they may want her to do the course with them). If she can't I am sure there will be a place nearby that can accomodate her.

9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi GBL,
    This might be of help to your friend.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. greenbrucelee

Cheers NB I'll pass that on to her too :)

11. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi GBL,

good for her!

Iv got some old Business books lying in the garage if she wants them, used for my BA(Hons), so their good just getting on a bit, but hey the business of business is business, that never dates..

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  12. ss

ss New Member

the adult learn center where i sit my exams cost £30 for level 1 and £80 for level 2 ECDL you can study there 5 days a week if you wish
    come to think of it they should provide lunch and transport home at that price lol

13. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate when I see her tommorow I'll ask her if she wants them.

14. jamiemikhaila

jamiemikhaila New Member

yeah ecdl is good for confidence and learning about office, without question
    good luck and stick at it

Certifications: ECDL lol
    WIP: HND computing