I have this computer that no longer starts uo

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

When I turn it on I get this error. Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and press Enter.What do I do? I just completed my A+ and I have a few machines that I am working on at night after interviewing during the day.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I promise you, this is the most important tool you will ever, EVER use as a tech... link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Surely your A+ would have taught u what to do here!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This is the reason why experience is important to have. Books dont always mention the exact error messages for certain situations.

For example in this situation it could be a defective hard drive or maybe you have a diskette in your drive you are forgetting about.

Its a good thing that you are doing this now as it is going to help you in the future. Dont worry about it just learn it and apply after. I was once there before my self when I first started.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Try to find out what the problem is by elliminating those options that are Not causing the problem. This is the most important lesson in your way to a IT-job. If you find out yourself, you will be a better tech.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The quick answser is that either there is an unformatted floppy in the drive, or the hard drive either isn't responding, or has lost its boot blocks.

First thing is to see what the boot order is. Second is to see if the hard drive is recognized in the BIOS boot screen.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Professor-Falken

I cant get to the BIOS. I was having a problem with the computer so I decided to reinstall windows so I changed the boot sequence to CD, Hard drive A: Now it boots to the CD ROM drive with the Windows XP disk inside and then gets stuck whats worse, I cant even get to the BIOS setup screen.
    And youre right I never read about anything like this in my A+ book.

Professor Falken

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What type of BIOS is it or Motherboard??

is it a Award or Pheonix?

Have you tried pressing F2 or DEL button at the Post prompt?
    Also by pressing F5 or F8 depending on the BIOS you should be able to get into the safe windows made.

You can use a paper clip(straightened out) to push in the hole of the CD-Rom to get out the WINXP CD.

Then it won't boot from CD:biggrin

WIP: Comptia N+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is why hands on experience is so important and why diagnosing hardware problems is not always a walk in the park.

Is the hard drive IDE cable connected properly, also the power and is the slave/master jumper in the right position?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. hbroomhall

If you can't get into the BIOS then how did you change the boot order? Because that is in the BIOS.

Harry.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Remember, some computers will let you temporarily change boot order by pressing a function key at bootup.

That said... why can't you get into BIOS, Prof? Just press the key sequence to get into BIOS when the computer initially starts...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. hbroomhall

True - but is is usualy an alternate to the BIOS entry key. But sometimes the permissions allow one and not the other. But we have no info here on what actualy was the problem.

Exactly.

Harry.

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Could be that the BIOS is set on quick boot and therefore doesn't display the post or memory count?

Some of the intel boards are setup this way the GC1102 with P4 CPU is setup to display a fancy logo Intel at the post and then the next thing you see is the WinXP loading screen!:biggrin

They have also turn off the option to display which function key is used to get into the BIOS.

But like you said and everyone else here. We could really do with some more infor on what type of Hardware you are using
    Professor-Falken??

Unless of course your working for MI5 and aren't allow to tell us!:p :biggrin

WIP: Comptia N+
  14. Professor-Falken

I just found out the Harddrive is not recognized in the BIOS boot screen. I am now able to access the BIOS. When I posted the original message I wasnt able to access the BIOS. The boot sequence is set to A,C,CD-ROM. What do you suggest I do next?

Professor Falken

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Try setting the BIOS to auto detect the hard drive remember to set it back to boot from the hard drive and not the CD too. Then exit and save or save and exit which would make more sense:oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you shouldnt have to manually tell the Bios what your hard drive is unless your mobo is old, but I had to do it once about 15 years ago and it was a pain in the arse.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Professor Falken,

How about trying the following steps:
    1. Make sure the computer is off.
    2. Open the case.
    3. Disconnect the power molex connector from the hard drive.
    4. Disconnect the IDE cable from the hard drive.
    5. Verify that the jumper on the hard drive is correctly set for "Master."
    6. Reconnect the IDE cable to the hard drive.
    7. Reconnect the power molex connector to the hard drive.
    8. Try turning the computer on with the case open.
    9. See if you're still having problems with your hard drive.

Please post back what you find out.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  18. hbroomhall

If the BIOS doesn't recognize the hard drive, and that hard drive is correctly cabled and pinned then it is most likely dead.

Does it spin up on switch on? I use a long screwdriver, with one end on the drive and the other against my ear to act as a sort of stethoscope, to hear the motor noise. You should also hear a short rattle of the head assembly positioning itself.

Harry.

19. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Is that a trick you learnt in the 17th Century? Top Stuff! :thumbleft

20. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

Could come handy in some cases where there isn't a lot of room, although just putting your finger on the side of the drive is sufficient.

Certifications: A+, N+