I have some Beast Trouble....

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by jezza1970, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

I am studying for the 70-291 a.k.a 'The Beast' and its becoming harder and harder with the more information I absorb (if you can understand that). I think I need a new way of getting all the information into my skull...... I am currently using MsPress, Syngress & Wiley for reading, CBT for practice and ITIdiots for a different approach (I think these guys are pretty helpful)

Does anyone out there have any different suggestions - all advice appreciated whether or whether not you have conquered this beast - for a different (totally or not) study method?

HELP - its only going to be a matter of time before I resort to hallucinogenic drugs and self-harm!

Cheers in advance

Certifications: BEng (HONS); MCP 70-290; 70-291; 70-270; 70-680
    WIP: ACSP, 70-648
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Is that Nicky from ITIdiots? If so I have worked with him in the past, he is a former trainer and not too bad.

As far as 291 goes, you can go too far. If it's getting to be a tad too much then take a step back and leave off the training material for a little while.

As far as my exam went, I used the CBTNuggets and MS Press books as well as classroom based training.

Find out where your short comings are and spend more time on them rather than on the subjects you do know.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Like Simon said, don't over think it. Just try to stay calm and remember, this exam can be passed. Book your exam with a second shot so you can have a free resit, as backup. Is there a particular subject you can't get your head around? We will be able to help if you can be specific.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

Thanks Simon and JK!

Simon - yes Nicky... actually think both (all 3 inc Shabih) complement each other pretty well - gives a light(er) hearted approach to the exam (plus they have a lot of other topics on the website!). I recommend them....

JK - have my second shot voucher at the ready - and I intend to use it (sounds like something out of a Dirty Harry movie...... 'Was that one shot or two..... to be honest in all the excitement I kinda forgot!).

Up to now I have covered IP, DHCP, DNS, RRAS - with particular areas of discomfort in DNS (dynamic updates) and RRAS (pretty much most of it at the moment - so much info to absorb). But still have a few weaknesses in DCHP (database management?) and IP (subnetting).

Overall I am making progress.... albeit slow and painful!

Forgot to say..... I also use this site as a study aid - when the chips are down - this site picked me up this time last year whilst I was studying for the 290!

Thanks fellas!

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As Simon said, take a little break from studying. It sounds like your getting a little overloaded, just let what you've already learned soak in. Trying too hard won't help, in fact it could make you ill.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good stuff. Get more stuck in and ask a million questions on here if you have to. What ever it takes for you to pass 291. Don't forget, some of the older books leave off WSUS which you'll also need to study for this exam

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Curious to know if you have access to a test network at your workplace or if you have a virtual network set up at home. A test network is invaluable as you can see the stuff you're learning in action. Also, get to learn the various consoles like DNS, RRAS, DHCP, GPO Editor etc and the settings and options they offer. And don't forget command-line commands!

I typed out half-a-ringbinder's worth of notes for 291 and supplemented my study by googling subjects I was unsure of. There's some pretty good stuff on the Internet that explains the various concepts of 291 in more detail. I wasn't looking for more detail, just looking for stuff that explained things better than my study material.

8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

All the books i have do not mention WSUS, although i can see that this is covered in the 291 exam! As there is no info on WSUS im unsure on the kinda depth required for the exam. Can anyone advise?

9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

There is indeed a lot to be absorbed in that particular exam.

Maybe you can scout someone close by who has succesfully passed the exam and can guide you hands-on through some of the more difficult concepts. Remember to give yourself some time to absorb things, eat good health food to nourish your brain, sleep a minimum of 8 hours a night to give some mental and physical rest. And if you're currently working, maybe you've got fellow admins in your job who can give advice on those concepts which you find hard to comprehend.

Studying is a long process but small changes in your lifestyle can really make the difference on how you retain information :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Several exams I've done actually go into WSUS. I was a little surprised about that, but I've managed SUS and WSUS servers in the past, so they were all a piece of cake for me.

I suggest you install a server with WSUS for a start. Understand the installation process and understand what the different configuration options do.

Then take a look at the WSUS related GPO settings do. Each one of them as well as their corresponding registry values. This really helps.

Finally, understand the commands such as wuauclt.exe /detectnow as well as being able to do soma basic deciphering of c:\windows\windowsupdate.com

A few days worth of tinkering with WSUS is all you really need. The stuff in the exams don't go into THAT much depth, but they require you to understand the concepts and bare troubleshooting steps to get you moving.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Yup, WSUS does crop up in 290, 291 & 293 exams. So long as you know your way around the WSUS console you'll be fine.

I'm currently studying 70-350 (ISA Server 2004) and I, for one, am glad to be studying something completely different from the core exams for MCSE. It's all about firewalls and proxy servers, and no DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, network security or WSUS! :D

12. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

Well at last I have booked my date with The Beast.... this coming Friday 6th August. Hopefully all will be well :)

13. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

Just got jittery and resceduled to the 13th Aug...... and now just realised its a Friday!! Aaaargh. Just going to bite the bullet and go for it.... will let anyone interested know how it goes.

14. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Good luck for the exam. If you're confident with DNS, that's at least 1/4 of the exam passed.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

Thanks guys !

18. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

OK - around 48 hours to go......

I have covered all I can regarding DNS, DHCP, RRAS, WSUS etc etc - read the MSPress & Syngress books over and over - also done as many practice questions as I can - lots of subnetting maths too!
    Not feeling so hot on IPSec - this has got to be my weakest area (although that could change during the exam I suppose) - reckon it will all be down to the luck of the draw come Friday.....

Was just wondering whether any good folk had any last minute tips. I have booked the day off work tomorrow - so I will have time for any last minute cramming.

And just to say a BIG thanks for the encouragement from the board thus far!!!!!

19. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

Well I have just go back home from the test centre..... battered, bloodied and bruised!

But you should see the state of the other fella!!! I knocked the beast down and he didnt get up again. I passed with a score of 807!! So pleased!!

Got to admit there was a lot of scratching, biting, pulling and low-blows during the exam....

Anyway I am now armed with a six pack of beer and intend to make full use of it!!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement I got from this board!!

Next stop will be doing the client exams.

20. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Congrats on taming the beast.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA