I have no idea about microsoft qualifications!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by morph, Apr 15, 2009.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

I'm currently in a junior network support role, and came straight from a general helpdesk role, i've got my network+, CCENT and hopefully in the next few months i'll have my CCNA. My concern in this day and age is i dont have any real microsoft qualifications (i know experience is the key but there arent alot of jobs out there at the moment and i dont want to leave my job as gotta pay the rent) so i was looking at maybe somthing covered the below - i'm pretty sure i've covered probably aload of differant exams below - but where would the sensible place to start with the below be ? I have messed around with AD and built a server but i was looking for some sort of formal path i could look at ?

Active Directory administration.
    Exchange administration.
    Server 2003 maintenance.

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hey.

For Windows Server 2003 I'd say MCSE/MCSA (AD covered).
    There's also a cert for Exchange configuration: MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.

Relevant links:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/exchangeconfig/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could start down the route of the MCSA, starting with the client one first 70-270, followed by the Server (70-290), then the Networking one (70-291), then finishing off with the exchange one.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

I'd 2nd this path, however think a better move would be to start with the Vista exam (70-620) as this is an MCTS exam and should you wish to do the MCITP then this exam counts towards it (so killing 2 birds with one stone).

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It looks like many companies might skip Vista so I'd take the 70-270 and later take a Windows 7 exam if you want to go for other tracks.

Currently there are far more XP deployments and therefore it will be more relevant for far more roles.

I'd only reccomend taking a Vista exam if you currently work or want to work for an early adopter thats chosen to deploy Vista.

I'd third kens MCSA reccomendation ! :D

6. morph

morph Byte Poster

thanks guys. appreciate it - get the feeling we will be laying of people towards the end of the year and just having a ccna and network experience makes me feel nervous in the current climate!

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

sounds to me like the MCSA would be your next one :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?