I have been to two job interviews

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I have had two job interviews for entry level IT jobs and both i was unsuccessful, is being rejected like that expected?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

What do you mean expected? I never expected any of the jobs I've gotten

Must've applied for a hundred trying to break into I.T. Interviewed for loads as well. Expected to get none of them

I use the fire and forget principal when applying for jobs unless I'm jobless in which case It'd be edge of the seat all the way

Just keep pushing.

How do you feel the interviews went. What kind of stuff did they ask you and importantly how did you respond?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

yup.

the job market at the moment is a hell hole, with some many people looking for work (many of them techs) the employers really can pick and choose. Don't take the rejections personally, that way lies madness, it could be as simple as a belief that your personality wouldn't quite fit in their team which isn't really something you can plan for or change.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If you wish to get hired, you need to send out hundreds of spontaneous offers to potential employers.

Especially these days, you need to be concentrating hours every day on researching companies in your area (and beyond), writing adequate cover letters for them, and modifying your cv to fit the offers as well.

Yes, it will cost your a lot of cash in postage, but if you're currently out of a job, some of this can be recouped via the unemployment office. You'll also benefit from coaching (often free at the unemployment office) on how to excel at job interviews, and you need to keep a confident self-image whenever you do meet prospective employers so that they warm up to you.

It's a tough job, but that's life.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Thats the way i am going once i start college in a few weeks send out prospective letters for part time jobs or experience

By god i will get a job even if its the last thing i do

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Alternatively, use the internet and email. Most companies have these facilities! :wink:

I can only echo what has already been suggested. It's unrealisitc to expect to get a job. Many people have been unsuccessful in far more than two interviews before nailing their dream position.

Just keep on ploughing away at it, tweaking cover letters for positions, and sign up to some job listing websites (jobsite.co.uk for example). I start my new Systems Admin role in a week and I was approached through an agency through such a site. Now I get to walk to work and get paid more for doing it. :thumbleft

You never know what's around the corner.

The best of luck to you with your next interview.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

It took me months to find my current job, I applied to hundreds of jobs, and got interviews for a few and didn't go further then that.

Give them a call, and get feedback, so you can understand why you didn't get the job, and work out what you need to improve on.

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  8. Shinigami

Of course ;)

However, sometimes a letter is more personal and whoever is on the receiving end of it (say an HR person), may not be so computer literate as to want to spend all their time reading CV's on screen. So the paper format might be easier for them to fiddle around with, circle bits and pieces or jot down notes if it comes to it. LEss printing for them to do as well, and signing your letter may also prove you're a bit more human :)

Either way is fine, one just has to make sure they spend considerable time researching the perfect cover letter and resume structure. It's almost an art.

I haven't really done this all that much anymore (most agencies and companies come to me when they see my profile on monster), but generally speaking when I do send out spontaneous offers, I have a decent reply ratio. It's also much easier to feel relaxed and confident (say during phone interviews or face-to-face) when you're already employed. This way it's not the end of the world if the company turns you down, i.e. it doesn't sting so badly.

9. Shinigami

A very good advice. You can't get better at this game if you don't know what you're doing wrong in the first place.

In any case, you should ALWAYS contact the person you sent your CV to, a week to ten days after you've sent out your letter. This follow up call is almost always what makes or breaks your chances of getting a face-to-face interview.

10. Qs

Slightly overgeneralized. Remember, it's all relative.

In saying that though, your recent posts have been pretty spot on, so +rep for you sir. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Shinigami

Well, ok you might not call back someone who called you in the first place and asked you to send them a copy of your resume and cover letter (if they said they'd come back to you... i.e. let's not bug the guys too much), but I was overstating it for a very good reason.

Namely, most people that are coming into the job market, don't know about these little nuances that often help a LOT when it comes down to placing a foot in the door.

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Although I got lucky with my job... in general, it is really hard to find your first job in IT... you really have to work at it... rember there is always someone out there who will hire you, you just have to find that someone.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Qs

Hence the +rep :p I hope people take note.

Qs

14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

The job i am in now, my employer mad it very clear what a difference my follow up made (and my follow up to the follow up lol)

so yes, definately, after applying, i would always follow up.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I would think that CVs for IT positions are being checked by someone with at least some knowledge of computers. Other than that I agree.

With such an impressive list of qualifications I am not surprised at all :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Much to my surprise I got a phone call today from an agency who'd seen my CV online. Personally I thought it was a waste of time sticking my CV on job sites in the current job market when I have no professional experience, but I had a spare afternoon so utilised a couple of hours doing that anyway.
    Moral of the story: Get uploading. it might be a long shot but it's better than no shot.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  17. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I received an email from an agency that saw my CV online which made it sound like I'd already spoken to them...

The important thing when posting your CV up for people to see is to make sure you keep it up to date. The searches on these sites tend to get ordered by age, largely because if you haven't updated your CV on the site in ages its unlikely your actually still looking for work.

(oh and of course, ensuring its not totally illegible balls tends to help as well!)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10