I hate Programming!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Twice in the last week, I've had crippling bugs in two of my systems that I've been patently unable to resolve, despite numerous attempts.

Finally bit the bullet with both and posted a request to the vendor for assistance.

In both cases, my boss, when he had a moment to talk to me and take a look at the issue, pinpointed the precise problem (both PEBKAC issues) in about 2 minutes, without even so much as looking at the code.

Look like a right div now. mutter. some days, I really do hate programming.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I understand your frustration as some days in IT as a career and doing usual stuff that does not work gets irritating.

But hey! that's why we get paid a lot of money for being in IT:) well unfortunately not a lot of us gets paid that much.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is actualy a version of a well-known debugging technique.

When you are completely stumped as to where a problem is get a co-worker along and start explaining the problem to them.

Either you will immediately see the problem, or the co-worker will. :p

I have used this many times down the years!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The trick is, to be able to do the same thing for a co-worker when he or she is at the end of their rope. I'm sure when you provide that "service" for someone else, it'll do wonders for your ego. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Often you'll be so 'into' the code you can't actually see and it takes an outsider to see the simple things.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

That happens to every troubleshooter no matter what the field they work in. Sometimes the obvious just doesn't jump out at you because you're so involved with the forest you can't see the trees, and someone else who walks up isn't involved in looking at the forest so they see the trees right away. I can't say that I know of one troubleshooter to whom it hasn't happened more than once.

Sometimes all it takes is removing yourself from the frustration of the moment and thinking about something else for a little while, then coming back to the problem with a new attitude. I've had the "aha" moments that solved really knotty problems even while consciously thinking about non-related subjects.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Yup, plenty of times I have been stumped on a problem only to solve it on the bus home with some music pouring in from the ipod

it's a bit of pain to get off the bus and go back though! :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I've lost count the number of times I've solved problems overnight. Another thing that you should be aware of is familiarity with the code base; it's impossible for you to spot problems as quickly as someone else working with the code a lot longer than you have been.

Then again, if it's your own code... :blink

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.