I guess this is goodbye.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

After much consideration I've decided to knock an IT career on the head. I've been on here over a year debating on it switching strategies and never truely putting enough effort into it, and I guess the real reason is because I'm interested in IT just not that interested and I don't believe I have the commitment to stick with it. I have embarked on becoming an entrepreneur and have plans to open my own small business which I have always wanted to do but through fear never attempted it but I'm really at a stage where im like "YOLO" (heeeheee). With over 7 years business studies education, would be nice to use abit of what I've learned as I invested all those years into it... although I do not think studying business really helps you substantialy enough on the path of sucess.
    Anyway few people on here I would like to thank..for guidance and brutal honesty SimonD
    For guidance, not being judgemental and all in all just a top notch guy rockdamike.
    I wish you all the best success in your careers and thanks for everything.

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

All the best and why not open a business with something to do with IT that way best of both :)

Certifications: A few.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Fixed your laptop yet ?

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

nope will probs bring it to a repair shop when I get a chance

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Juelz, IT isn't for everyone and I am glad you came to the decision that IT isn't for you, again not meaning to be harsh but if you're heart isn't in it then why do it?

In a persons life you can expect 3 different careers, some people only have one but I know that my first career lasted 10 years (Armed Forces), my second career (Techy) has so far lasted 16 years, my next career (management) will probably last 10 - 15 years... what I am trying to say is that whilst IT may not be right for you now, there is still a chance that at some point in your life you can move in to an IT career of one sort or another.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you're not interested in fixing your own kit, then you certainly won't be interested in fixing somebody else's kit, so good decision !

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

yeah my point exactly.

8. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Thanks for the mention Juelz! I wish you all the best for the future. If you need any advice or just need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a PM. I concur with SimonD's comment about career changes. Initially, I didn't want to get into IT as I deemed it to be too geeky. I was set on going to Uni to become an Economist. However, things changed and I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoy IT now, although it can get really stressful at times. My point is, don't close doors too quickly with regards to your career. Always have an open mind. A lot of people aren't fortunate enough to land a career that they actually like the first time round. Keep trying new things, you'll eventually get there :)

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  9. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Just got a Xmas card from CertForums and thought I'd make a post - and on this topic I have much experience because I have actually obtained jobs with good companies in the IT field, but decided it wasn't the life for me - that's not because I didn't like IT but the routine of working in a company and having one's movements controlled all day long just wasn't for me. I am a very independent person and like organizing my own work day. You can really enjoy learning IT, the myriad fields you can learn can keep you busy for a lifetime, and it is a great subject, but when it comes to actually earning a living it can be a different matter depending on how you like to work. These are things you need to figure out as soon as possible, but I don't regret my time in IT, it has positively influenced my thinking greatly. 'Know thyself' is the key phrase!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  10. Martay

Martay Bit Poster

OP is probably long gone, but good luck all the same.

Definitely agree with this. I don't even think it's limited to IT. I think some people just naturally enjoy sweat equity and figuring out their own problems. It entices you to learn more and you save a stack of money in the long run!

11. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Best of luck with the business venture but I don't see why this has to be goodbye. I still work in IT but I'm often either so fried or tired that I tend to hand around the lounge - off topic the most, leaving answering a lot of the techie questions to the people still in that area of IT. Just an option. It would be good to hear how you're getting on, what Lambo you've ordered etc 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs