I guess my HDD is dying?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, May 27, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I feel like I know the answer to this but would like opinions.. my pc overall runs fine, its not slow or suffer from random lockups or anything of that nature, however give it 15-20 mins and the HDD will sound like its crying and fans will start to work hard, even though the machine isnt actively being used.. would you say this is just the sign of a dying HDD? The fact that it does this even when idle is concerning.. I really wasnt looking to replace the drive anytime soon but feel like its just a matter of time now. Not sure if theres a program I can use that assesses the HDD health? or if theres anything you guys know of that can aid or shed light on the situation?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

First things first, have a look at running a defrag on the disk, it can happen that the drive is just so fragmented with data that it takes ages.

Secondly, look for some SMART disk tools, various free ones out there that you can use, ideally you're looking for things like bad blocks.

Lastly, dude, get an SSD, so much bloomin faster, use a spinning disk for slower archive disks sure, not for the boot disk and certainly not on something that needs fast loading times.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If they machine isn't actively being used what is the HDD doing? Are you sure you have a HDD issue?

Other than that, yeah get an M2 SSD as your primary drive and ditch any old or defective drives. As Simon said SMART detects low level disk faults. Check what it says.

Windows 10 seems to have a number of new processes that thrash the disk or cpu, so its possible that its one of these and not a drive issue at all.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont know if it coincidence or what but I noticed it pretty much the moment I updated to 1803..

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Check task manager - any process using high CPU?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs