I got a job!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by IT2009, Nov 24, 2011.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

It has been long time since I posted here. In a mean time I got internship (worked for free) in digital department with well known company! And it ended me getting the job.
    But I would like your advice please.
    Is it ok to negotiate higher salary? I am new to digital, i haven't got related work experience before. This is junior position. Mainly it is going through large pool of data and some sql and keeping an eye on export of data... It is very busy job though - lots of data every day coming....
    What would this be worth (££) on job market and my question from above - is it ok to ask for more not having experience?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats about the job offer.

I'm afraid I don't know the worth of your job, I could look online but generally the results would be pretty biased as well. But from my experience. I'll give you my input.

You can ALWAYS negotiate for anything! You just have to do it in a certain way.

Start off positive, you never go into the conversation with a bad expression, that will leave you in a awkward and negative light if they decline the negotiation.

I have a few statements I like to say, this is one of my favourite ones (and got me £2k more for my current job). It goes something like:

It HAS to be done face-to-face, with a cheeky smile and a lot of balls. Make sure you've been communicating well and getting on with the HR people 8)

alternatively, on the phone:

The rule the negotiation you must leave them make the first comment, the first speaker is always going to lose. It feels awkward, they don't expect you to ask, and you must be quick on your toes to continue once they speak.

My second advice second rule is you must have figures in your head. Think about it, you're not negotiating over £20k or £22k a year, you're negotiating over £2k a year.

That's only £165 a month, surely the company can be happy to pay an additional £165 a month for the great work and loyalty your going to give to the company?

If you can break it down to monthly or weekly, it looks impressive and only a small figure. Don't go overboard though (ie: only £12 a day).

Good luck IT2009, and let us know how it goes.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Oh, if they're not up to negotiate, make sure you already know if your head whether you will or won't accept the answer. Don't sit around 'thinking' about it.

It will only make you look hesitant and unprepared.

4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Thank you for your advice.
    Now I am in process of writing them reply to their offer letter.
    Is it possible to negotiate in letter?

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I've never had to do it by letter, but it doesn't mean it can't be done. I've found what looks like to be a good site from Google:

Salary Negotiation Techniques for a Counter Proposal Letter

Have a read, but please don't use any templates without doing a major re-write.

EDIT: One thing. Consider your position, since you were an intern you may know how much they do/don't need you.

Did you battle it in interviews against several other people? Or are they being 'kind' to give you the paying position?

6. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

That position was empty for few months because person who was doing it was moved to other project. They hoped that she will still continue doing ti but it was impossible timewise.
    Then I got internship and during that time thy put job ad on their website. There were few candidates but I won because they were overqualified. They needed someone junior.

7. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Congrats on job mate :thumbleft

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Be careful, very careful IT Jobs are few and far between at present, and you probably know that first hand.

I wouldn't do it in a letter, it could be taken the wrong way, always face to face is better. they might read it and think "Nah, screw him, we'll offer it to the other guy who'll accept starting salary"

Personally, if i was in your shoes i'd take the starting offer, as long as it's half decent and won't screw you over for bills to be paid etc each month.

Remember, as you've already said

You're new & have no experience in this line of work. I'd snap their arm off instantly and worry about a pay rise a few months down the line when you've proved your worth to the company

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

This paints a picture. I'd be very careful and agree with what Apexes has said.

My concern is that they've turned down over-qualified candidates, they probably assume/know the cost is going to be higher. With that, you know they only want a junior role for a lower, suitable pay.

The position has been empty for a few months and by the sounds of it - they would leave it empty until they find an ideal person. If you push too hard, you might lose this opportunity.

You could always go to the office and have a chat, that would be your call as I'm not sure on the work environment.

Above all, you would have a job and gain that experience. 6months/1year down the line, you might get a pay rise or could at least gauge their interest in you for the future.

If nothing happens within the year and you need more income, use that experience on the CV 8)

10. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Thanks for replies guys!
    All I know is that they are offering higher salaries at the moment than three months ago and that they are doing very well financially with new projects which are long term. My job is permanent and will be involved with present project and future projects.
    I think I will accept this offer any way and see how it goes. After I get experience I will get more ground for negotiation.
    Pay is not dramatically low any way.

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think you made the right choice... you will have more negotiating power once they see how well you work, how much you have to offer and your potential... Negotiating a salary is a sensitive topic.. do it wrong and you can be at a really bad spot. I always do research on how much someone like me with X amount of experience plus X amount of education, the type of work I am doing, etc.. and base it on that. When you present this to your employer, ideally you want a competitive salary, but you have to prove that you're worth that much on the market.

Since its your first job, I would wait at least 6 months... even a year of possible before re-negotiating a salary. But regardless, good job on the new job!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

In all fairness, once you accept the job you lose any chance to negotiate until either you have to renew your contract, or you get a job review/employee PDR.

But, its your first job, its fantastic news and I'm sure you will love it 8)

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

True but that's not always the case... some times you have conditions and if you meet those conditions you can get a raise... Also other times you might not be told anything about a raise in the initial negotiating stages but regardless can still ask for a raise down the line... It all depends on the employer. I've been offered a certain salary when I started and then 6 months later negotiated what I wanted, other times you wait until your annual review like you mentioned.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA