I got a job in support but not computers

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I got this job at a helpdesk but it is supporting the Sprint telephone company, not IT related except troubleshooting maybe some modem issues. The company tells me that a role in support for computer desktops and laptops might become available in the future. I am worried that I wont get the experience I need for the future alot of the jobs in the U.S. especially in Miami, Fl require experience do you have any advice so that I
    dont lose time in gaining experience. Or any advice in general. I appreciate it thanks.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you are getting experience by answering the telephone and advising customers. Even though it is not IT related and even if the IT support job does not come up, when one comes up in the future you will be able to put on your resume/CV that you have great skills in providing support and advice over the telephone.

Don't leave for a while even if the IT job doesn't happen because lots of jobs (unless small contract}can make you look like a bad employee.

Once you have enough experience on the phone then start looking again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Professor-Falkon,

Stick with the job for now as even though it's not IT related, you're still working in a support environment which requires excellent customer service skills (very important in the IT field, especially on a service desk). Gaps in employment on CVs don't make good reading to potential employers. Get the N+ finished as soon possible and follow that up with the MCDST. These two certs along with your A+ will teach you the fundamentals of computer hardware, networking, and troubleshooting in a W2K and XP environment.

If you have doubts about whether or not the IT job within your company is likely to come up any time soon, and you don't feel your skill-set is sufficient to succeed in the position, then why not start applying for entry-level jobs now? Remember, entry-level jobs are just that, entry-level; and experience is not a prerequisite. All that you need to show is determination and that you have an aptitude for learning.

Hope that helps, best of luck. :thumbleft

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Support is support... it'll give you an advantage over those who don't have any support experience.

Don't stay there on the hopes of another job coming up in the future... keep looking. If you find something IT-related before an IT job comes open at Sprint, take it. :) Otherwise, keep doin' what you're doin'.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I had another job that is IT related that I had to let go because they were contract positions. And I need something that is full time. I am worried because I dont want to lose on valuable time and experience.
    What I have decided to do is to keep studying working on my N+ and then look for entry level jobs as a pc technician or network technician. What do you think?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend that you look for entry-level jobs as a PC technician NOW, and study for the N+ while you're looking.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Alex Wright

Continuing with your study is a good plan but why not also start applying for jobs now? The worst that these companies can say is no but at least you'd know you've tried.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Alex has it spot on, good advice indeed Rep given :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with what's been said thus far. Keep the job you've got and start looking for a more IT related job. It's better to look for a job while you've got a steady paycheck coming in than when you're unemployed. You could also put your resume/CV online at places such as Dice and CareerBuilder. This helps both in terms of employers finding you and in terms of the occasional IT contract gig. I'm talking about after hours and weekend work that you can do in addition to your "day job". I built up my resume in exactly that way while working my non-IT day job and going to school (I was very busy back then). :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Alex Wright

Thanks GBL!

PF, take Trip's advice on board. I uploaded my CV on Monster late last night and had 5 people contact me today (I'm only a newbie. Isn't it nice to feel loved! :)).