I Give Up 2

Discussion in 'Networks' started by flex22, Nov 13, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well, totally f'd on this one.

I'm setting up a workgroup between my computer (XP Home) and my laptop (XP Pro).

Both computers have the same workgroup name.I create a folder on my computer and share it.
    On my laptop I check for workgroup computers and all it shows is the laptop comp, it's the same on my computer, it doesn't show the laptop in my network places.

I got rid of that Zonealarm rubbish from my main comp but still the same.

What on earth is going on here.Man I can't even set up a workgroup, how cr@p am I :!: :!:

PS: I've always kept in mind that this could be a cable problem, afterall they do say that up to 90% of network problems are cables.
    Thing is though, the ballon says conencted ok :whatthink

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Ok, so start with the basics. Is there an IP address configured on both machines ? can they ping each other ? Can you access a share on the other machine by IP address ?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Cables OK (crossover/straight-thru) ? Plugged in Ok ?

Folders shared ? Permissions and user accounts set on both machines ?

Just checking the obvious before the tricky stuff, Flex.

HTH

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

No probs Jak, it's good to ask the obvious stuff.
    Thing is though, I've checked all that, that's why I've just given up.

Just gonna check a couple of more things again guys.

Stay tuned :scatter

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My Network Places "s*cks". I have had the same issue sometimes...I can ping but it won't show the computer in "places". Then I'll go to start, run and type in \\nameofcomputer and hit "ok". It will pop up the computer I'm looking for and everything shared on it. Only then will it appear in My Network Places. I don't know why. I guess you have to make the connection this way first.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

And also, have you logged off/logged back on to each machine ?

To be thorough, you could shut them both down (we'll miss you for a few minutes, Flex :) ), then re-boot - try My Network Places again, but , as Trip says - NEVER trust it.

As long as you can ping, then your connected - anything after that, we can deal with at the time.

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I chose the wrong adapter from the list.I knew the solution would be simple, and it was.

To be honest something else was bothering me and made my patience somewhat limited.

I really need to work on the patience side.I'm a lot better now but I'm p'd that I let my patience let me down.

oh well, sorted now, doh :!:

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I just realized that one of your PCs runs XP Home. Home is notorious for having problems networking...maybe not in this case, but in general. Home will also not join a domain. FYI.

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Heh, Flex - just another CertForums result :clap

10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've had problems before with XP Home, like Trip says, so I looked over everything five times.

You know though I was doin everything right and it just gets you so mad coz you just think that the computer has something personal against you.

I picked the wrong adapter from the list because I was picking the adapter that wasn't a VMWare adapter, forgetting that I had a wireless adapter in the list which I never use.

So you see I'm not really that dumb, I think, I hope, :cry: ...............

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That's really easy to do, flex. My laptop has an on board NIC I've got configured to hook up at work and a wireless NIC for my home use. At home, if I want to surf the web over the wireless, I've got to go into my LAN settings and set it to use a proxy server. Then it can point to my home PC that we use as the primary internet connection. At work, I have to turn that off to connect to the enterprise LAN and surf the web here. Forgetting any of those steps will stop me to connecting and I've forgotten more than once. Like I said, it's easy to do.