i feel under paid

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by msgang, Dec 26, 2011.

1. msgang

msgang Banned

the title says it all, i have being with the company for like 8 months, i have my mcitp ea and network plus and 2 years of experience doing system admin/system engineering work mainly as well as support work. I only get paid 22.3k pounds a year. I have a review next year when i pass the 1 year mark. I am doing cisco cert to get my salary up, what else can i do also is my salary right for my experience and certs?? I wanna get to 27k pounds

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I could go on about how you should:

1. Get professional registered with the ICTTech mark from the ECUK or depending on your experience go for the CITP from the BCS
    2. Get your degree and/or post grad qualifications
    3. Look at and gain experience in XYZ, eg security, etc...
    4. Look for another job.

But I won't as it does vary from person to person, organisation to organsation and from sector to sector...

But at the end of the day, especially in this financial environment, the best person to talk to about this would be your manager at your review. Do you work with Cisco kit? If not, why would CISCO certs help you?

Is your salary right for your experience and certs? Maybe, maybe not... IT is one of those professions that doesn't have a standard pay scale as it's not regulated or standardised (like teaching, nursing etc). You can get IT Managers on anywhere from £19k to £70k, IT Tech's from £12k to £45k, etc...

Also, while we would all like a higher salary (including me), that's not the only thing you have to consider. For example getting a higher salary vs having to pay out more on tax, traveling costs, parking, etc... which could result in an overall lower monthly salary. In some cases instead of a higher salary, you may have more chance of getting extra annual leave for a better work/home balance or even getting flexible working patterns/hours.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. msgang

msgang Banned

I am not planning to do ccna

we do not work with cisco gear here, maybe we have a couple of switches but most of our gear is 3com.

The reason I am gonna get my CCENT is because i wanna get some more knowledge and confidence in networking as a general, I looked at the CBT stuff and some of the stuff actually relates to my work even though i do not touch cisco switches at work.

4. Kitkatninja

Never said anything about the CCNA, I said Cisco.

If you're looking at general networking there are alternative networking certs, if you haven't already considered them.

Comptia Network+
    Microsoft Technology Associate Networking Fundamentals

And since you're using 3Com kit, which is now part of HP:

HP ATA - Networks certificate.

There's nothing wrong with the CCENT, just offering alternatives.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. msgang

msgang Banned

I have a good solid foundation of networking, Comptia network + is easy, i looked through the n+ book I know like most of them without study, the ccent has lots of interesting stuff thats why i want to do it, also the hp ones arent that famous and recognizable.

is there anything wrong with doing the ccent? i was told in my half way review that instead of working on the network and doing the work on the switches it is much better to get certified so the HR can measure it, so thats why i decided to go for CCENT.

6. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

There's nothing wrong with the CCENT course I think the point wagnerk is tryin to say it's geared towards cisco's own products if you don't use cisco gear then the N+/ HP might be a better option. don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of cisco certification but if you not using what you learn you will lose it.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  7. Kitkatninja

That's good that you have a good solid foundation. I have to disagree with you re the HP certs, as an IT manager myself, I do recognise them and since our infrastucture is all HP (apart from our router), it's as "famous" as it needs to be.

Please read my above quote from a previous post.

JonnyMX likes this.
  8. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Got to say that a lot of people would consider 22.3k a good salary for 2 years experience. Obviously it doesn't take into account location and company etc. I've found over my 8+ years experience (discounting times I've done contract work) that certs tended to only help me get the job in the first place. Once in the job managers for the most part couldn't care less if you have an MCSE, degree or invented the PC. They only care that you can do the job. There are companies out there that do value certs and reward you for it (I wish I could find one) but I would say these are in the minority.

Sorry to say but to get a better salary yo may have to move jobs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd think about asking my manager which cert might be best. In the outside world the CCENT might be "worth" more because it is more widely known. However, in your current role HR might view something more specific to 3Com kit as having more value.

Is 27K a realistic figure to aim for? That's a 21% increase, not something most companies will give out when they have the "there's a global recession" card to play.
    Are others in your company doing the same job as you getting that figure? What's the local job market like for people with your experience? Is 27K near the average?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I would narrow that down more and say certs only help you get the interview.

11. msgang

msgang Banned

good points there guys, i am just getting the ccent to show that i have gained more networking confidence and knowledge,

also its just a entry level cert, don't matter what vendor you use the concepts are the same.

basically i work for a big company, there is someone who represents me, me and had a chat and he said go for ccent and get many other certs i can, because it is measurable. Then its up to the HR to decide.

12. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you taken on any extra responsibilities that can help you get to £27k?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. msgang

msgang Banned

a little but mostly improved in what my job is, starting next year I am gonna take it to next level and try and take on more responsibility and more project based work. I am just going to plan it out.

14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

See how it goes mate – remember it’s a tough time for all companies right now. It might be the case that you won’t get a pay rise or that they have decided to increase it to say £25k.

Jumping from £22.5k to £27k in one year can be a big jump especially since you are in the same job role even though you have improved in that role.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Unless your work peers are on or around 27k then you may have to move on, 22.3k is a reasonable wage with 2 years experience, you don't simply get a wage rise just because you get more certs and experience, what was the advertised salary for your role and what part of the country do you work?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  16. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

22 k is good for someone with 2 years. Count yourself lucky. It took me longer than that to get what you have - not through lack of trying.

I would also echo that managers dont care once your in the job what you have after your name, if you can do the job great. It helps you get the interview/noticed in the first place and thats it. Only if its going to increase the image of the manager or IT/provide greater service /there is a need for the business will it be important to have the certs.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  17. msgang

msgang Banned

I wouldn't call it luck, I call it hard work, I came from having nothing.

18. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

So did everyone.

19. msgang

msgang Banned

i really wouldnt say that to everyone.

Some people get lucky and get a job with no quals or experience, while others have to get quals and even work for free and get rejected from 20 interviews and get hired.

20. Kitkatninja

20 interviews? Try 5 years...