I dont get video from Computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I dont get video from computer. I installed windows successfully, then later when booting up did not get video. I dont even see the post messages.

Thanks

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What do you mean you don't get video?

If you mean you can't see anything has the DVI cable come loose or not fully connected.

IS this a new build? if so check everything inside is firmly in and cpu has paste on it.

is the hard drive working? if not check the molex connector.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do you get a beep from the computer on switch-on?

If not then the processor isn't starting.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Or the speaker is disconnected :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What are the specs of the PC, mobo, grahics card?

Like Harry said, did you hear any bleeps?

Are you sure you have pushed the VGA/DVI graphic card into the slot? I know when I was installing a nvidia Geforce 6800GT with silent pipe into a shuttle XPC. I had problems, moistly with the fit, but also because I didn't push hard enough (the connection pins were not in the slot) and the VGA card was not reconised at the post!!:(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

OK you did have Video during the install process, otherwise you would never have been able to install Windows.

So, something may have gone wrong with Windows installing wrong drivers for the Video card.

Try booting up anf hitting F8 to see if you can get into the troubleshooting start up options.

Choose *safe mode* as this will only load a basic set of drives and a plain standard VGA driver for the video.

If that works, change the driver to a VGA driver and re-boot and find the correct driver for the card. If it's on board, you probably need the motherboard chipset drivers, from the motherboard manufacurer.

Edit.. oh i misread, you dont see post messages. Try re-seating the video card.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I know this sounds daft...but the monitor hasnt been turned off??

Also when you say no video, assuming monitor is on, does the screen display a message such as no video signal or is it just a black screen?

Like the others have said, check the cable twix screen and card, re-seat the card in the pc, and check if it needs extra power cable to it.

Normally if you get no Graphic card bios info displayed on the screen then it is not the OS thats the problem but the Graphics card. 1st step on most PCs is to diaplay this info then the bios info and POST screens. Bare in mind that sometimes though this info gets displayed too quickly to notice so try several times turning off the pc and restarting.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,