I can't get no

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mondos, Mar 16, 2007.

1. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

:rocks I can't get no entry level IT job :rocks .

I registered my CV with a brightly coloured telecoms company for any possible IT roles, anyway no joy from that.
    They sent me an email inviting me to apply for a customer advisor position, I now have an interview next week. It doesn't specify which products I'd be advising on but it may be a foot in the door of a major company that will have IT vacancies I may be suitable for in the future.And at the end of the day, I need a job.
    Has anyone made this kind of move before, has anyone worked for Orange, any advice, views ,good ,bad or indifferent will be appreciated

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  2. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

great news on the Interview....

When I first got into IT, I had to accept a "Date Entry" position and then apply to all manner of IT jobs internally when they come up - after about 6 months I had landed a job as a System and UAT Tester heavily involved in the testing and project life cycle of some major bespoke applications - this then led me to become the Testlab Manager of a small team 3 years later doing all manner of testing, as well as maintining and configuring the small testlab (about 12 machines) which ranged from Win NT server right the way through to a Sun Solaris Box (also had 2k Server).

After two years managing that testlab I moved into my position as a Network Engineer (3rd Line) and now progressing slowly through my certs....

Basically just trying to outline that you can indeed get into IT if you want it enough and you show how keen you are. When I recieved the offer of the job, I actually got offered it above two guys that had been contracting on the exact same position, and the reason I was given by the manager was my commitment to teaching myself as much as possible, and the fact I had worked my way through the company and shown particular enthusiasm for what he had planned....

dreams can come true :)

Good luck mate!

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good luck with the job. Keep at it, sooner or later you will get your chance :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Goodluck with the interview. Hope you get the job.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

thought you were going to burst into song then :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hehe so did i - i was fully expecting *satisfaction* but no, oh well.

Good luck with the interview and although i haven't worked for Orange, i have found them to be a good company as a customer, which is half the battle.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

well, good luck mate...it's a tough tough market out there...

been so tempted to put on my cv to show how keen i am: "prepared to do a year's work as password reset donky while studying for my certs if your company will allow me to get into the network admin side after that"

anyway, hoping to take my 1st ms exam next month and the next 2 within 2 months after that.

hoping my luck will change when i get a couple of passes under the belt...

let us know how you get on mate...

Certifications: 271
  8. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Thats the inspiration I'm looking for, thanks.
    Customer service experience will do me good I'm sure and a couple of months down the line I'll have a couple more certs under my belt and I'll be in a much better position. That's if I get the job of course.

9. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

You really ,really don't want to here me sing believe me, though I may just give a short rendition of James Browns "I Feel Good" If I do get the job.

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Going to stick that on Youtube when you do? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Yes i'ts very hard and I believe most of us newbies would love a job as a password reset donkey as you put it, it is after all entry level work that I'm looking for.
    You've got to start somewhere, If new doors don't open after a while you've gained experience and may be able to move on elsewhere.As your still studying certs Make sure your future employer knows this as really he/she should keep track of your progress because it will only benefit the company .

Good luck with your exams, I'll be taking three myself over the next few months, lets hope were both in much better positions by then. Thanks for your post:thumbleft .

12. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Sorry don't have a video cam.:oops:

13. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

:toilet Three days to go and starting to get the jitters now, Don't no if I'll be advising on phone packages or broadband because the application invitation was a bit vague(broadband hopefully) but been checking the faq's and broadband fixes on their website just in case.

I wish it was going to be as easy as my last interview 13 years ago because I only had to turn up, they were getting me on a 3 month trial @ £10/week, how could they turn me down.

Anyway got to get ready for college, Adios.

14. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Have no fear mate - You will do fine - keep us posted!

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  15. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Well I had my assessment today and what an eye opener ,if the people had been anymore laid back they would have been horizontal.You could tell who was after a job,they were the ones who were all tarted up.

Arrived 10 minutes early,as you do.There were about 16 of us then split into groups of four,we were then told our assessment would consist of four parts.

Part 1: Interview
    This was very informal, just me and a lovely lady, long dark hair fluttering eyelashes about 5'9", she made me feel very relaxed.

Most of the interview she was just asking me questions from a sheet and filling in the answers.Only 2 questions were asked regarding my customer service experience.

She only allowed me to ask one question at the end(we needed to move on to part 2) so I asked her about her career and how she had progressed through the company, I must say she got rosie cheeks :oops:
    before giving me the story of her career(13 years) and boy it sounded like she'd tried most of the jobs in there.
    End of interview.

Back to the waiting area with the rest of the group.

Part 2: Role play
    Oh boy was I not looking forward to this. I was with a guy this time and the smile on his face told me he loved playing the irate customer on the other end of the line.

I was given a sheet explaining the scenario and a screen dump of the customers details and five minutes to study them.

Ten minutes later and role play is over, I knew I'd cocked it up at the end but before he had a chance I told him what I'd done wrong and he agreed with me just saying I needed to relax more, so I may have redeemed myself a little bit.

Back to the waiting area with the rest of the group.

OH MY GOD guess which prat forgot to turn their mobile phone off :tune.I couldn' believe it, was only someone asking if I'm available for a telephone interview on Monday.Luckily none of the staff were with us at the time but I still got some funny looks.

Part 3:The TOUR
    Nice modern open plan building, subsidised canteen serving some top looking grub, internet cafe, free drinks (coffee and water only, sorry) big aqarium in the entrance(Feng Shui apparently:eek: ) and lots more lovely ladies.

Part 4:PC Test
    Multi choice just like certs, basically just finding out what you know about the company and their products , mostly stuff from their website so I'm sure I done okay on that due to the research I'd done.

Back to join the other groups in the waiting area, handed in our passes and said our goodbyes.

Conclusion:
    I must admit I wasn't looking forward to my first interview in 13 years but they made you feel so at ease and overall it was a very casual and informal assessment ,nothing like I was expecting and it was a very pleasant experience apart from the role play :blink.

Will I get the job? Come back for part 5 next week, we'll see.

16. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Part 5:
    :singer I FEEL GOOD :git I KNEW THAT I WOULD

Got the phone call this morning offering me the job. Phew, don't have to spend all my redundancy money on paying the bills.

I start in a couple of weeks in the insurance dept, all to get me some customer service experience for hopefully a future IT HELPDESK position.

It's 2 weeks training then I'm on 12pm - 12am 3 on 3 off shift, looks like I won't be continuing my college course (N+) for much longer, so I'll have to self study.

Nice to finish off this thread on a high note, thanks for your support guys :thumbleft .

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats! :biggrin

18. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Wehey!! :clap

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

wooooooohooooooo!

Go you!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  20. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys, lets have some more good news soon, leehaa !