I am studying for A+ essentials 601......

Discussion in 'A+' started by djbonnett, Oct 25, 2007.

1. djbonnett

djbonnett Banned

Hi folks

I am into my first week of studying A+ 601.

I am starting out as a bit of a novice when it comes to IT, and set myself 6 weeks to do this exam.

After purchasing the Mike Meyers book like most of you advised I was a bit taken back on its size!!:)

I have a couple of old PC's and an old Lap Top to butcher as well!:)

I have been on some practice exams and realised they are not that basic (well for me anyhow), do you lot think 6 weeks is a bit unrealistic?
    I have a full time job, not in IT so studying is abit limited to 12 hours a week approx.

How many hours is realistic?
    How far do I read into each chapter?

Many thanks folks, wish me luck!!!!!!!!

Certifications: C.L.A.I.T.
    WIP: A+ and MCDBA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

First Hi Welcome

Second read the whole book cover to cover

Third 6 weeks could be ok for you it may take 6 years, people learn at different paces, I myself am studying for the A+ and have been ready for 3 months, I read the book then highlighted important parts on the second time through it.

I am in a bit of financial trouble so cant afford the exams it took me 2 months in total.

But like I said some people could read the book over a couple of days go take the exam and pass, some people could take a longer time. There is no time limit, once you know the material and understand it take the exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. greenbrucelee

Out of interest why are you studying the A+ if you are going to study the MCDBA? they are not connected as A+ is about being a tech and others about database admin.

4. djbonnett

djbonnett Banned

Good qustion! ( I have asked myself)
    It is part of a program I am doing through an IT learning provider.
    There are 4 more after this over then next 2 years and then hopefully I will be MCDBA!:p

Before you began revising for 601 how much did you know about the inside of a computer?

Many thanks for you reply.

5. greenbrucelee

Well I only recently got back into PCs in March but Passed MY HND Business Computing in 1999 my last PC was way back in 96.

I had always an interest in computers so I knew what one looked like inside when I was 16 but it wasnt untill I was 21 that I actually ended up fiddling with them, I have built a few before but thats was 10 years ago I am saving up to build a good one which hopefully I will have the finances by next summer.

If you have never seen inside a pc then I think what would help you is to buy a cheap old one, so you could practice on.

Get the CompTIA A+ all in one exam guide to help you with the A+ and also get PC techniciam Street Smarts by James Pyles (he is the admin on here goes by the name of Tripwire 45)

Trips book has hands on labs in it and is very good for getting your hands dirty or bloody, but is worth the buy.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, I've never met anyone in any area of IT who didn't have a basic understanding of hardware issues including DBAs, so I think the A+ is a fabulous place to start your studies.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends entirely on you, your ability to learn new information, your ability to take exams, your current responsibilities, your past experience, etc. Some people need years to study... others don't need to study at all. You'll probably be somewhere in between those extremes. :)

As many as you want to study... and keep studying until you understand all the concepts.

All the way through it. Well, unless you only want to learn HALF the information, then study only half the chapter... that said, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that... especially considering you should study until you understand ALL the concepts... :blink

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. djbonnett

djbonnett Banned

Thanks folks for your input and support.
    :D

9. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Ive been studying the A+ for i think, 5 or 6 months now, but, i took 2 and a bit months out from studying as i simply lost intrest because of several reasons

im up to chapter 17 now, after ive taken notes on all the chapters ill re-read the book, re-read my notes, book the exams....hopefully

Good luck though

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I took 12 months for both exams for the 2003 syllabus - that involved me both houses, cities and jobs, as well as moving in with the girlfriend!
    For the 70-271, I've been hard studying for the past 2 months or so - and feel I'll be ready in about 6 weeks - its purely down to personal circumstances, how much studying you can do each week, how much your prior knowledge/experience is and how eager you are to learn.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293