I am not an IT person want to became MCP. Which easiest exam I can pass to became MCP

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mayurrajva, May 5, 2012.

1. mayurrajva

mayurrajva New Member

Hello,

I am not an IT person just pass 12th grade but due to some reason want to became MCP ASAP. I visit on microsoft website but confused in different tracks.
    Please help me providing name & # of exams which is easiest for me to became MCP also is MCP still in new tracks? because I didn;t find on microsoft website.
    Also if I pass that exam can I have my own MCP # & card ?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you are not an IT person, why on earth would you want to be an MCP?
    It will be of no benefit to you at all, and no, they don't do the cards any more.

No MCP exam is easy. They are all aimed at experienced professionals.
    And, at the risk of sounding rude, if you don't understand the Microsoft learning website, you're really going to struggle getting your head around something like active directory.

I would suggest some entry-level certs, but you don't actually express any real interest in IT, which leaves me slightly confused.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. mayurrajva

mayurrajva New Member

As I told you I just pass 12th grade in medical but want to change my field education in computers so my father told me if I became MCP in 3 months then I can study of my choice

4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hello Mayurrajva,

Welcome to CF firstly!

I will answer your question and also tell you my thoughs...

Forgive me if Im missing the point, but why would you want an IT qualification? First of all you require real life hands on experience, due to the fact these exam are hard to pass.

One route and possibly the most popular way in would be through doing client based exams. I would possibly recommend getting CompTIA A+ as its a starting point that will give you the fundamental basics of how computers (Client side) work.

Really though why are you wanting an MCP? All you mention is that you want a fancy wallet card and certificate... If you want the wallet card to impress the ladies it doesn't work... Ive tried :oops: If you want a well paid job that also doesn't come... Untill you've got alot of experience, which if your a 'non IT person' you will get tired of. You have to be really committed and have a hunger for the industry in order to get you through.

I'm possibly not much older than yourself, and unsure how old the 12th grade makes you. Me being 17 and having achieved these qualifications you need to be driven and want to do it. Do you?

This is my best advice, being an MCITP. Find something that interests you, motivates and makes you think! If that is IT do CompTIA A+ first get yourself a support roll job, after a good 6 months start doing MCTS and move into the desktop support area progressing to second line. After a year or so begin the MCITP, by this point you will understand how clients work in a corporate environment and how servers control who can do what.

Client route:

MCTS 70 - 680 Windows 7 Configuration & MCITP Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop support 70 - 685.

Hope this helps mate!

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
    SiFor, Bluerinse and JonnyMX like this.
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Nice post! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Love this quote

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ok, first of all, there are no more general "MCP exams" (I believe that there are MCP exams still available on licensing and the more obscure things), the MCP route was the old NT4/2000/2003 operating systems. However you can become part of the MCP program by passing any Microsoft exam.

You can do any of the business/office exams, the MOS route - this route being the easiest as it's not technical - if you go down this route from personal experience Outlook is the easiest (but this is a fuzzy term, as it depends on the individual's own experience and knowledge).

As for the technical route, the group of Microsoft exams to pass are the MTA's. This is more the entry level certs from MS, weighted approx 80% theory and 20% practical (while the professional series, the MCTS and the MCITP are the other way round + alot harder).

Last edited: May 5, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    SiFor, Bluerinse and JonnyMX like this.
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Seems an utterly pointless waste of time to me.

1. MCP status doesn't really exist any more in the way that it used to.
    You do get an MCP number and access to an MCP website, but its not looked at as a certification or credential any more.
    Some older exams like the XP client exam 70-270 used to be the route most people became MCP, but like I said there is no longer a clear definition of what MCP really means, taking old client exams seems unnecessary and you don't have the commercial experience necessary to take a modern MCTS client exam.

2. Virtually all MS exams except maybe MOS and MTA are for validating on the job experience, and you don't have any.
    I'd advise looking into MOS, MTA, Comptia A+ if you want to study an entry level certification.

3. Getting 'MCP' as a schoolkid in no way proves anything related to your suitability to study or work in IT.
    You father while maybe having good intentions seems rather ill-informed.

4. You do not seem to have a clear goal or sensible motivation. 'Due to some reason' doesn't make any sense.
    You should find something in life you enjoy or are passionate about. Most people spend hundreds of hours learning IT topics just out of pure interest way before they go to college, get a job or get certified.
    Forging a successful career is going to involve many 10,000's hours of commitment and dedication, without the right drive and ambition you won't stand out in what is a competitive field.
    This also applies to medicine, so if medicine really isn't your thing you should definitely find out what is your thing. You and your father will be wasting lot time and money if later you decide its not your thing.
    There is some interesting stuff happening with bio engineering, but generally medicine is a vocation that attracts compassionate types and IT is a career that attracts analytical or engineering types.

5. The cards for MCP status or other MS certifications don't exist anymore.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
    Bluerinse and JonnyMX like this.
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OK.
    Reading between the lines, you've been studying 'medical' and you've decided you want to change.
    Assuming your old man has funded your studies to this point, he's given you a challenge to make you prove that IT is your thing before he funds more study.

Well, he's either wrong, or he's deliberately setting you a goal that you can't achieve.
    Whatever, it really isn't going to help you.

We all make mistakes in life.
    Don't compound them by looking for quick fixes.

10. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

It's ok!

Rather than sticking with the Microsoft site until you do understand it which is of course a serious waste of your time and pretty boring; we'll all take nuanced inferences from your life and relationship with your father and your future goals and we'll provide you with a useful answer for you that will be sure to guarantee success.

This isn't yahoo answers. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
    BraderzTheDog likes this.
  11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK, I think the OP gets the idea.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  12. Kitkatninja

Just letting you know that MS has re-introduced them, however like the paper version of the certificates, you have to purchase it.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Am I right though that you have to order/purchase the cards too?

14. Kitkatninja

Yeah... that's right.

15. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

...and very nice they are too..!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...