Hyperterminal stops working for cisco switches

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Andrew95, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Hyperterminal has stopped working on my laptop and my PC for 3 separate switches. No changes in h/w or s/w and using the same COM port. bps=9600, Data bits=8, Parity = None, Stop bits = 1, Flow control = none. Any ideas will be most appreciated

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP CCDP CCIE
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you tried another serial cable?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Does your PC work with any other switches or routers?

Can you use any other PC to connect to those switches or routers?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

I always have my flow control set to hardware, never had an issue.

Putty is better then HyperTerminal as another option to try, but with flow control set to hardware should be fine. :biggrin

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

also give tera term a go too

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

i am going to try all of the above solutions. The physical connection is a rollover cable connected to a USB convertor cable. Somewhere betweeen the two cables could be a point of failure, but instead of purchasing two cables, is there a way of testing that they are in working order.

7. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Putty does not work either. When I go to device manager and have a look at the settings, they are exactly as I set them in hyperterminal and putty. When I remove the cable from the USB port, the com port disappears and when i PUT IT BACK IN, the com port reappears (as com port 8 or COM port9 depending on which USB port I use). It also says that the device is configured and woking properly, no conflicts. I am studying for my CCNA and I am in a good place, on the learning curve. Don't need this type of frustrating issue right now. Thanks in advance for your help.

8. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Do your com port settings match exactly to your hyperT settings?
    Could be the drivers for the usb converter try deleting them and reinstalling them.
    May be the usb converter, I have gone through 3 of these so far!

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  9. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. It has given me some options to try out. "The ITCROWD", I hope I do not have the same issues you had. Sounds costly. I have tried updating/reinstalling the device driver, but still no luck. The laptop was working fine with the switches for several weeks until it went belly up. Following that, the laptop itself crashed so now I need a new hard drive, but that did not not happen for about five days after the USB/hyperterminal situation arose. The PC which I am using now (tediously slow with a single processor) has never been used successfully with the h/w or s/w hyperterminal/putty. This challenge to my learning progress has also come along at a time when I am at the best part of the learning curve and after I have invested several hundred pounds in Cisco equipment. HELP!!!! Again, thanks in advance for your suggestions one and all.

10. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

The driver settings in Device manager is exactly the same as I use in hyperterminal and putty. Is there anyway for me to check connectivity of the cable when it live and when it is plugged out from the PC. What utility could I use to check the connection status of any hardware on the USB port.

11. Macfly!

Macfly! Bit Poster

dont know if you have an old desktop PC some where, but if so this will more than likely have a proper com port (non USB), you could test with this to see if your cable is broken?

Mac

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  12. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Thanks Mac. Genius advice. I'm off now to load an operating system unto an old PC.

13. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Thanks Mac. Your suggestion worked. Problem solved.

Andrew95

14. Macfly!

Macfly! Bit Poster

cool, I always try the easy stuff first :p:p:p

Mac

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  15. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Yeah yeah. Thanks again Mac.