Hyper-V vmconnect.exe and users

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by LukeP, Jun 29, 2009.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I've set up Virtual Machine on Windows Server 2008. Then, I wanted to create a shortcut which will connect me to my VM. So I've made a shortcut to vmconnect with correct syntax and everything works fine, but only when I'm logged on as local administrator. Even when logged as domain admin (vm as well as the host are members of domain) I cant use my shortcut. It says that virtual machine cannot be found, and also when using vmconnect without parameters there aren't any vm's listed in drop down list. Which obviously tells me that they're not accessible to anyone apart from local admin.
    But when logged in as domain admin I can go to hyper-v role mmc snap-in and start,stop and connect to server from there. It's just vmconnect that doesn't see the virtual machines when logged as anyone but local administrator.

How can I "fix" this, or was it my bad installing hyper-v role and machines before joining host to the domain?

edit: BTW. Everything else is working as planned it's just this small glitch that buggers me

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be the problem mate. Can you recreate the shortcut ok when logged on as domain admin?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I know how you feel mate, I can't stand it when I'm testing in a lab and I can't get something working that should be. I can't move on until I have sussed out the problem. :)

Had something like this last week with client side preferences that weren't applying from a 2k8 server to a vista client. In the end it was Vista SP2 not supporting the prefs as MS haven't released official support yet.

GL with sorting the issue anyway, sorry this isn't any use other than a bit of solidarity. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks,

I can recreate a shortcut to vmconnect as domain admin but it does not help. vmconnect.exe returns "cannot find virtual machine "machine_name"", even though I can run server manager and see, start, stop, connect to all virtual machines from there. It's just vmconnect not seeing them.
    Thing is though that when I start server manager I confirm that UAC Yes/No Dialog box, vmconnect doesn't ask at all.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Where are the VMs being saved mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

On seperate partition along with config files, snapshots, and everything that goes with a machine in it's own folder.

7. Stefman

Stefman New Member

I know that it is surely necroposting, but I've ran into very same issue two days ago and it took a bit long to finally find a solution, so I think it is still worth posting. Anyway, here it is:
    blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/01/17/allowing-non-administrators-to-control-hyper-v.aspx