Hyper-V on a MacBook

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Phoenix, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

If, like me, you happen to own a MacBook, one of the non pro ones, one of the non pro ones that Apple says you cant run x64 bit operating systems via bootcamp on, you may be interested in my first blog post (I know i know, I've done the blog before, and its failed before, i'm not a keen writer, so it all sucks, yeah i get it) over at www.theinquisitivegeek.com

This may be of perticular interest to SGUK
    although you may want to go overboard for that 2GB memory mate ;) or evne 4 (it apparantly works despite apple saying 2 is the maximum, don't apple suck some times?)

I figured some of you may be interested, so have a looksie

for those without macbooks, it should be much easier to install on a modern laptop designed for windows, that has a real BIOS! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks Ryan. haven't read your blog yet, but it was definately something I have been thinking about.

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Works a bloody treat mate gave AJ the quick once over, and a demo of 2008 terminals services RemoteApp and such and some Server Core was a quick one hour set up though so nothing too compelling, i'm working on a NAP demo with it at the moment

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Any chance of getting it on video somehow?

Thanks for the info in your blog. Very interesting and after spending 2 hours following the links and reading all the info, I've decided to install Server 2008 as my desktop system at home.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Ok just to make you aware, it's not likely you will need to do all that faffing about with the ISO for a standard ibm-compat its just an apple thing, from what I gather, to do with the fact it uses GPT disks and EFI (both of which are supported natively on the 2k8 CDs, but the encoding format is not liked by the mac! damn i wish PCs would start shipping with some EFI finally :)

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Bugger. :(

Just done a little looking into this a bit more, and it seems that since my MacBook is an original Intel Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo, it is only a 32 Bit Processor.

Pants. :rolleyes: