HP and WebOS

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by nugget, Aug 23, 2011.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As you've probably all heard, HP is closing down it's pc, smartphone and tablet production. At the moment the smartphones (pre 3) and the tablets with WebOS installed on them are going on sale in various countries for fire sale prices. This has had the effect of dramatically increasing the installed user base of WebOS around the world.

What do you think the chances are that HP capitulate to the market and reverse their decision to drop WebOS?

On a second train of thought, what are the chances that this is just part of a larger plan? Announce the end of production, throw out all the hardware cheaply to get a very large increase in the user base (which probably wouldn't have happened any other way) and then reverse their decision to suddenly support their systems again?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

No idea about the WebOS but I've been looking around the internet for one, after the prices plummeted.
    Couldn't find an American store that had them in stock, and was willing to ship to Europe though.

Let's hope European retailers will follow with the price cuts.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I read somewhere that there is work for an android gingerbread port for the touchpad underway, not sure how its getting on. Trouble with buying them cheap is that if HP truely do cease production, apps will no longer be developed nor will security/os updates so pretty much what you buy will be what you have to stick with and reselling on ebay will produce disappointing results after the shutdown.

Still it is tempting for a cheap tablet though!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

WebOS is not a product of HP. HP was licensed to make tablet devices the same way HTC makes Android devices. (Ignore this, I get corrected below.)

HP is getting out of making a licensed device for WebOS but the OS was already an open source product. I'm unsure about the app development because on the one hand the tablet isn't being manufactured anymore but on the other hand HP finally sold their TouchPad devices! I expect a lot of hacks and open source mods on the market.

I've read a good op-ed about the whole thing revolving around Mark Hurd being CEO when HP purchased Palm then Apotheker taking over after the personnel scandal. Apotheker's previous experience was with SAP, which is an enterprise software and consulting company. So basically HP is being turned into just that. [op-ed link]

I don't think it's a bad move.. I like HP and Dell products that I see in businesses and enterprises now that I'm an IT student.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

So as its shutting down its pc market, does that mean we might see there desktop computer prices being slashed?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Or more importantly their servers. :eek: Most likely they'll give everything over to a third party like iBM did to Lenovo. (One of the most well liked PC laptops btw)

7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It was built by the guys who made Palm, but was purchased by HP, so the OS belongs to them now (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

Android on these tables could be an interesting option, but apparently the hardware is a little slower than the current batch of Honeycomb tablets, so it would have to be seen how quick the stuff would actually run if Android OS got released on it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Your correct. I'm still trying to make heads or tails of it mainly because HP released such a generic and buzzword loaded press release.

Right now from what I can tell they have not said if WebOS itself will die off but they haven't said what they will do either. There is a passionate developer group for WebOS that started when it was with Palm. (Think Linux passionate)

[source]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I was told Friday that WebOS is not going to die, just the phone and tablet piece
    the PC piece is a separate announcement, and they plan to sell it off or spin it off and have no details on what/how yet
    the Autonomy buy seems a little bubbly, thats more than they paid for compaq!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Still scratching my head with this one tho'...

They introduced a somewhat wayward, little known OS, into a market full of BlackBerries, iOS and Android devices, and now when they've decided to drop that, they've made the decision to nevertheless maintain a PC version of the OS in an environment where we have Windows and several *nix based operating systems (Linux, OSX, ChormeOS).

But with poor marketing and a product which hasn't received the fanfare and media attention they should have hoped for, it's like an ant using a twig to burrow its way through a mountain. Too little and not enough oomph. Where's the dynamite?

I have a feeling it'll fail a second time :\

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

So, anyone in the States willing to jump in the car and score a TouchPad 16GB at the local BestBuy, then ship it to Belgium? :tune

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

+1, why no cheapy fondleslaps in the UK!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

There were management changes, their CEO in particular, which led to almost an about face on their position and market plans.

14. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685