Howdy

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by McTaff, Jun 23, 2009.

1. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

Hello there.

I found this website an invaluable source of information, and thought I should make a contribution. I just wish I'd found it a couple of months ago!

I passed my MCDST to my utter amazement last week, and will post my observations in that forum shortly.

I was made redundant in March after 9 years of working in a mainly (Unisys) Mainframe Operations / helpdesk environment. Part of my redundancy package was £1000 worth of training. I probably could have done better with the money knowing what I now know, but I decided to go for CBT's (from Career Academy) which coupled with a buy 2 get one free (and N+ bundled for free anyway) netted me the following;

MCDST (passed)
    CompTIA A+ (currently studying)
    ITIL v.3 Foundation
    CompTIA N+

This is also the order I will be attempting the certs in. Yes, I know I've got them all a*se over t*t, but I wasn't aware of the accepted order until I was up to my eyeballs in the MCDST. I want to do the ITIL before the N+ because I believe it's more likley to help me into a supervisory role (which I held in my last job), and I think the N+ will be flippin' hard, plus the exam is £170! I should explain that I'm trying to "add more strings to my bow" so to speak, my previous job was about 30% windows server support, and Unisys Ops jobs are as rare as hen's teeth - I'm unlikely to use those skills again unfortunately.

MCSE 70-270 also came free with the MCDST course, but I don't see much point in attempting it for the time being (tell me if I'm wrong).

I also plan to add the MCITP (70-621) upgrade to my MCDST, because I was able to buy Microsoft's online course heavily discounted as part of their "Second Shot" deal.

I should also admit to being ...ahem, 45 years old.

Certifications: ITIL v.3, MCDST, CompTIA A+, Network+
    WIP: Scratching my head in frustration
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Welcome to CF mate :biggrin!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Hello and welcome!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. alpolinkmuzammal

alpolinkmuzammal New Member

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm also new here and very happy after joining this community :D

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA
    WIP: PMP