Howdy

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by OddBall, Jan 2, 2009.

1. OddBall

OddBall New Member

Hey guys,
    Came across this community after googling a review for head first C# and found the one here was very comprehensive, written by an admin in Mar 08 O.o

Anyways about me...
    - I'm an Australian all the way!

- I'm undergoind the CISCO CCNA course at school, I just recently completed CCNA2 (Hurrah!) and I am now up to CCNA3. Must say I'm not the biggest fan of networking but wth might as well do it if my school offers it. I'm fairly competent at it but the amount of reading and stuff they expect you to fit in your head and output on the exam is seriously unreasonable IMHO.

- I'm currently on end of year holidays at the moment and will be commencing my last year of school at the start of February

- I have always loved programming although have never thoroughly delved into a language. It started back when I played runescape and found 'bots' to help me cheat, I then started writing scripts for the bot (It was called SCAR) which was pretty much just a scripting engine for Pascal so I ended up getting very good at that. Then moved onto a Java bot and learnt some very primitive Java which I wouldn't really call 'real' Java. Then decided to go on and learn it properly through a book however it was so huge I have since dropped it, so now I have a thorough understanding of the language just don't really know how to code with it :p
    I have a thorough knowledge of programming in general and understand what variables and arrays, loops etc. etc. are....
    This year at school we spent about half a year studying Visual Basic.Net which i'm now fairly competent with next year we're apparently learning J# O.o
    Anyway my primary goal for a proper programming language to learn is Visual C# which i've done a bit of atm.

- Once I finish school I plan to do a programming course at uni, I might do a double degree and go for CCNP as well.

- I loooooovvvveeee Music, been playing guitar for 8 years or so, like my computer games and am currently 'playing' WoW (I say 'play' cos I actually bot it, can't be bothered playing :p) and Warcraft III (DotA)

- I love finding bots for games (mainly MMO's like WoW) simply because the tasks are repetitive and bore me. Also there's nothing quite like the fascination of watching your computer move your character around and play for you. Been botting different games for about 5 years now :D

- Primary goals here are to check out the Cisco section and to find help and give help in the programming section, can't wait to start with C#. O yeah my main goal in C# is to learn how to read memory from a process which I've been told isn't so easy in C# but oh well I shall have fun learning I hope.

- Btw I like to write ALOT as you can see and apologise for the wall of text. Oh and I hope it didn't seem like a brag because that wasn't my intention O.o Please tell me about your guys' interests or things I may/may not know about this forum :D Oh tips on what I should do with my programming stuff is welcome as well or tips about anything really......Man i'm ranting again!

Peace out guys!

-Odd

Certifications: CISCO: CCNA1 and CCNA2
    WIP: CISCO: CCNA3 and CCNA4
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

One question for you, why are you doing the CCNA (a cert that needs to be renewed every 3 years) when you want to get into programming?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. OddBall

OddBall New Member

TBH no idea, the main reason was that my school was running it and it was super cheap and my school has better equipment than the other schools/universities do that run CCNA. Secondly I had a few friends doing it.
    Furthermore networks are around us everywhere we go in this day and age and I now have a very good understanding of it all, sure I might not use my knowledge in a professional work-place but I can use the knowledge I have for personal things.
    Also CCNA covers things that can be used in programming for example TCP packets etc. the knowledge it's given me can only be helpful and I now have a wider knowledge of how things work which is always a plus when programming.
    Oh yeah I also recently found out that doing CISCO wipes out a bit of my Uni course I want to do on programming so I can choose to study something else when everyone else is learning about basic networks.

If my school had of offered a VET course in programming I would have surely taken it over CISCO but alas, it doesn't, neither does any school from what I can tell.

Thanks for the welcome all xD

EDIT: While i'm here I might as well ask, are there any certifications like Cisco:CCNA but are for programming instead?

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

General programming doesn't have much in the way of certs. Nor do many employers (in my experience) ask about any.

A couple of companies offer recognized certs, being Microsoft and Sun (the latter for Java).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. OddBall

OddBall New Member

Oh ye forgot about the Sun one. What does Microsoft offer?

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'll leave it to the Microsoft experts to answer that one. I have always found M$ offerings to be confusing and always changing. The latter because M$ keeps changing the technology.

And as we do no Windows programming at work I don't really have the motivation! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't reccomend studying for two cert paths at once so I'd finish your CCNA first before looking at other certs.

Look at the Microsoft cert site for their cert paths. Personally I'd reccomend spending more time programming, having fun and learning stuff, maybe pick up a non cert book on the core of a language you're interested in and make sure you really know it back to front. It sounds like you've already made a great start.

Best of luck ! :D

9. OddBall

OddBall New Member

Yeah I wasn't really intending to do another cert but was just curious. Currently using "Head first C#" It's seriously awesome, enjoying every bit of it, except the first project sucks :p