How to Stay Awake at Work

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Sep 22, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Even though the first day of the work week is over for most of you, I thought this bit of advice would still be relevant. :wink:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Awake-at-Work

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Great – now I have to learn how to do a handstand like the guy in the picture :dry

3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Wooo ST36 feels really tingly!

Thanks for that - some really good tips there. The water has got to be the most effective though!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ive always found getting more sleep at night works for me (this is a serious comment btw)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sleep at night.
    Coffee throughout the day.

:p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

When i had a room to myself, upstairs at work, i used to nod off regularly. I learnt to sleep lightly and with one ear open. If i heard anyone coming up teh stairs, i could appear awake within seconds so no none knew.

I do know some electricians, that used to make beds under teh benchs and in cupboards when on night shift!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. postman

postman Byte Poster

The great world of insomnia, I usually get between 0 and 3 hours sleep per day and then spend the day struggling to work (although it does help being outside walking for 5-6 hours) but normally it's large quanities of Red Bull (1 or more litre) which in turn makes it difficult to sleep, which in turn means more caffine etc.

And I have to add that sleeping tablets don't work at all (even the ones used by the US Navy pilots:().

WIP: A+
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Postman, have you considered that possibility that you have a sleeping disorder requiring medical treatment (besides taking sleeping pills). Perhaps you should undergo a sleep study to see what can be done. I used to suffer from sleep apnea and I know that walking around like a zombie all of the time is no fun. Besides, it could lead to more serious medical complications.

9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Water will help in the short-term; but power-naps are the best as far as I'm concerned. :gmorning

10. postman

postman Byte Poster

My insomnia stems from a mixture of severe depression, work related stress and anxiety which my doctor is treating at the moment:) but it's not made any easier whenever your pay gets stopped and the manager clears off for 3 weeks:x (the only bright spot is that my GP is less than impressed with them and yet another complaint will be made against OH to the GMC).

WIP: A+
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry. Didn't mean to pry. I used to be a "slave" for the US Postal Service and at least they never withheld my pay. Hope things get sorted for you.

12. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Great - Now I just need a job to practice this. :P

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  13. JukE

JukE New Member

Being in the Army on deployment its always hard to get enuff sleep. When i first got to iraq I was only sleeping 2-3 hours a day. I only started getting 6-15 hours a day for the past 2 weeks. Getting up, go to work, stay for 8-10 hours and go back to my chew and crash out. This really helps me stay motivated during the day and keeps up awarness.

Monsters work also..

Certifications: Army SkilSoft: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-270, 70-299, 70-291,
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada