How to set up and configure a mail server?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by reverb, Nov 6, 2010.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I set up a virtual lab to get a better understanding of how a small network operates. I've got the domain controller, windows server and client pc up and running and they play along nicely but now I want to add a mail server. I'm kind of confused how I can integrate this together with active directory and in a domain environment. Can I add a pop3 email like gmail to test this? :biggrin

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You mean Exchange server? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I'm not planning to use Exchange but a freebie alternative.

I don't understand how I'll implement this in a home environment for testing. From my understanding, I'd set up a pop3 account on outlook and setting up the mailbox as the Exchange (or alternative) mailbox and set it to receive x mins from the Exchange server? lol sorry if this does not make any sense at all. That's why I'm looking for help :biggrin Also how would this integrate with AD?

Any advice/tips are welcome. Thanks.

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It would only integrate with AD if you used Exchange.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Actually, most mail servers can use ldap for authentication, and will integrate with AD to some extent.

However, they're a pita to set up, and I can't undersatand why you would bother using anything other than exchange in an m/s test environment?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm going to ask a question on email as I've never been involved with setting up a companies email system from scratch but how do you go about getting your own email address such as [email protected] who do you register this with?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You register a domain name, which costs a little amount each year and also you pay someone to host it. That is unless you have your own mail server.

As to who do you register with, there are numerous companies out there..

http://www.google.com.au/search?sou...ister+domain+name&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Register the domain name and then point the MX records at you email server. In my case I use Google apps so they point to Google. You then define the various email addresses on the server. You can also use some kind of email forwarding as well.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  9. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

You also need to add the smtp.domainname to the A record pointing it to the server configured with the TCP/IP public ip address and smtp port forwarding configured on the router to point to the private ip address of the exchange server.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not the A record.. the MX record :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Yes when I used the godaddy.com webhosting provider in control panel this is how it was done and learnt it through Trainsignal videos.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, you can create the A record first (e.g mail.company.com) and then put that A record in the MX setup.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

cheers guys for the info.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Having done some research on other web hosting provider like Justhost.com in cpanel you just need to add the MX entry or MX record to point to the public IP address of your server if I am correct.

15. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Thanks.

I think I need to do some more reading but in the meantime I have to come back to this later as I got sidetracked. I'm trying to get my internet working in my virtual machine :biggrin