how to resolve common outlook issue's?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mallet, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I been going to quite a few interviews lately and I been getting common questions such as how to get printer to network or how to deal with angry customers which is fine. However, there is one topic I having a hard time answering back is outlook. Because the common issues that I got in my previous jobs was, it keeps going to a default blank profile or outlook's pst size was corrupted. these issues I can deal with ok from experience but unfortunately, I rarely dont get these sort of questions at 2nd line interview stage. but the one issue where I dont where to start is when outlook doesnt seem to be picking current emails or just says at bottom of the screen: unable to retrieve email from host?
    Now, I would personally get this user to test the outlook web app or webmail version as a work around until the actual version works. and to also confirm, there colleagues have got there outlook working fine and its sending and receiving emails ok.
    This problem has happen to me in the past. even when I double check the exchange settings and create a new outlook profile, nothing seems to work. When I asked the network guys, he responded back saying there was a temp issue with his account setting because it was migrating from 2003 to 2007 which I dont know I could say that at a interview. What would anyone else do in this situation? I have tried to research this problem but it just leads to the above information I have already stated.
    Iam curious to know what the solution could be?

Certifications: MCP
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I'm not sure on your exact error, but surely if you ran through the simple checks:

1. Is it connected to Exchange (status bottom right of Outlook)
    2. Does it have a network connect either ip address or browser activity
    3. Check Email Account settings - correct exchange server address, any changes to ports, ssl.
    4. In the 'more settings' of the email account - authentication and connection settings (proxy, connect via LAN)
    5. All else fail, create a new profile
    6. Try logging on a different account, create mailbox.

I wouldn't give a solution regarding mailbox migration, as I can't see it being a 'common' outlook issue.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

If I read your post correctly, one of the issues could be that the OST file is over size. if it is forced via group policy or because it is an older version of Outlook, it may be using Non-unicode or ANSI format OST files which wont push beyond 2GB in size. this may cause the problem.

Certifications: MCDST, Network+ C&G NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: 70-682 I think :P
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

One that I love is, hold ctrl and right click the outlook icon in the notification area and select "Test Email AutoConfiguration"

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

One fix we have to do on individual machines (not sure if there's a GPO as we haven't looked), but if you go into the account settings, select the account and then change.

Go more settings -> Security -> Logon network security, set it to Password Authentication (NTLM).

For some reason (on some people), if it is set to Negotiate Authentication it just doesn't connect.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

ah good tip, I'll add that to the memory banks

Certifications: MCDST, Network+ C&G NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: 70-682 I think :P
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Never knew that, thanks and repped!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

CTRL + right click works also in Lync 2010 to show similar autoconfig info and if I recall correctly, can be used to force-delete the local offline cache (CSC) of your network files if you've enabled offline files.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys for all the replys :) this will help out alot including everyone else having probs with outlook.

some of the answers are interesting.

this is great stuff man thanks. he did have internet connection as I advised him to use the outlook web app for the time being. I do recall when I asked assistance from my colleague, he did ipconfig and found out the ip address was in a odd ip range. I wished I remember what that was but, it meant that yes, he did have internet connection but it wouldnt let him connect to our outlook server.

when we had that one user that couldnt migrate to 2007 I think one of the changes that the desktop guy did was look into the security as you mentioned along with Boffy's list. I think it was also important that he re patched the network connection to another hub.

ThomasMc, thats test email function is a keeper thanks dude!

I do believe when you answer outlook not working question at a interview, one of the things you probably need to ask to the interview is to whittle down what it can be.

Certifications: MCP