how to pass 640-801? please help

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by cutequencher, Nov 15, 2007.

1. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

ive taken 640-801 last october, but i failed with score of 809. i didnt read any books or take any practice exams... i only rely on my stock knowledge, and o am also familiar with router and switch configurations for i am a ccna student. but then my knowledge wasnt enough... im going to take it again on nov 26... any help or suggestions would be appreciated. thanx!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would recommend getting some books then and studying as obviousley you stock knowledge needs to be increased.

What real world experience do you have, as you shouldn't be doing ccna without any experience in a real job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I don't think that will be possible. The exam retired on november the 6th 2007.
    See here: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

i dont have working experience, i am actually a programmer right now... can you recommend me something?

--for Tinus1959-- it is indeed possible... i am a ccna student

5. greenbrucelee

typically if you are wanting to work in Networking then N+ certification is your best bet to start with and get a job only attempt ccna after a years full networking with Cisco kits.

Probably a good idea to do A+ first.

as people on here have told me walk before you can run.

Another piece of advice it may be harder for you to get a job with ccna cert and no experience.

6. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

i honestly not planning to work as a networking something for right now... i just want to pass the ccna exam just to satisfy myself. but that doesnt end there... i will pursue it until i am confident enough to be a net admin... this ccna exam would just be a little step on going to be a net admin.. for now please, i need help.

7. greenbrucelee

thats good you want to study for it, but what you are not realising is that if you get the ccna and don't have any experience when you go for a job in networking and tell them you have the ccna but no experience a lot of employers will reject your application.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In all honesty, CuteQ, Tinus is right... the 640-801 exam is no longer available for the CCNA. The 640-802 exam is its replacement: link

In any case, if you don't have any real-world experience, the CCNA won't be much use to you. Companies do not hire techs without real-world experience to manage networks, even with multiple certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Tinus1959

So? The exam 640-801 has been replaced by 640-802 AFAIK.
    Did you check my link?

10. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

ccna students can still take 640-801 till first quarter of 2009. i need help on what to do to pass the exam

11. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

yes i know... that is why it was not yet my plan to apply for a net admin... i justwant to pass the exam. thats it...

12. greenbrucelee

what study material are you using?

Have you read any of the statments about you will find it harder to get a job with you ccna with no experience?

13. BosonMichael

Study. Get hands-on practice. Take (legal) practice exams (not braindumps).

There's no magic formula. Learn the material, and you'll be able to pass. It's that simple, really. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. Tinus1959

Could you show me a link with this information?

15. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

i got semsim, ang boson simulator... on my first attempt, i have difficulties on answering questions related to trunking... i think i need to furthermore understand the concept behind it. what books or site or anything can you suggest?

16. BosonMichael

I typically recommend the Cisco Press and Sybex books.

Boson, the company I work for, is about to release their ExSim Max product for the CCNA. Quite a few practice questions regarding trunking... I should know; I wrote 'em. 8)

17. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

i just called cisco help desk... and found out that i can take it even if it is already retired, privilege of a ccna student.
    for scheduling it... you need to schedule it through calling person vue and give you information on how and what to do through email....

18. cutequencher

cutequencher New Member

thanks.. ill try to focus on those... hope ill hit this time

19. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

809 is a good score which shows your knowledge is nearly enough to pass. Find out your weak points in the modules covered in the exam and then work on them. How is your subnetting? Is your practical skills lacking?

As BosonMichael said the Cisco Press and Sybex books are popular. I am currently studying for the CCNA and I paid for a boot camp weekend to gain practical experience and also purchased some routers and switches for a home lab. The boot camp package came with a study guide and and lab book which I highly recommend (http://www.networksinc.co.uk). I have also purchased some Network+ study guides to help improve my theory knowledge for the exam.

I hope this helps and good luck for the exam :thumbleft

Certifications: BSc Network Management & Security
    WIP: CCNA
  20. Tinus1959

Well, that is new to me. Thanks for confirming your statement. I did not know this. Reputation points scored.