How to optimize PC Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by johnteresa, Feb 4, 2009.

1. johnteresa

johnteresa New Member

My system takes a very long time to Startup and shutdown. It's very annoying for me. Plz suggest some software to manage and system startup.

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the forum why don't you take a sec and post an intro over in The New Members Thread so why know a bit about you and can help you out with your study problems as well.

The first thing you need to do is identify what is causing the slowdown. Is your machine a couple of years old and has had lots of things installed over the years? If so the chances are that there is a lot of items being loaded into your system (look at the systray - the bit near the clock) if there are loads of items in there here is what I recomend you do:

Go to start and click on run.
    Type in MSconfig
    when this window opens go to start up.

Now go through and deselect all the ones that you know relate to things like scanners or the itunes helper things like that. If you are not sure of it google the process first. when you have deselected that click ok and the system wil restart. It should now be faster.

Good Luck

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Agreed. However, it might be easier to use this tool - StartUpLite. You can download it here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/StartUpLite.exe

If you're in Vista, you'll need to run is as administrator, otherwise you'll just need to have admin rights.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you could defrag the hard drive, install more ram, disable disk indexing plus many others.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Such as...

Remove out-of-date/un-used drivers.
    Disable un-used BIOS features (e.g. memory checking)
    Disable un-used peripherals (e.g. firewire/game ports)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Do a fresh re-install of your OS!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I didn't know that - thanks for the tip.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Qs

You learn something new everyday eh? :p

Wait till you have to get to grips with UAC. Even with admin rights you'll need to confirm every damn install/uninstall/update

Grrr.

(and yes, I do know how to turn it off, I'm just having a rant)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

This is a good tool to have. It can work as an application uninstaller, help configure your start up items, and remove a unwanted data from your computer :)

10. Qs

Another vote for CCleaner. I use it and love it. Quick, simple and does what it says on the tin.

Qs

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'll be glad you had it for the *one* time something tries to install something that you didn't launch yourself.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Qs

Hasn't happened yet (and won't do cause I disable it as standard practice).

...but I'll happily eat my hat if/when it does :p

Qs