How to look for new job when at a current job less than a year?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

To elaborate, what would you say if you were at an interview for a new job, and they ask why you want to leave your current role and move to a new one when you have been in your current role less than a year? lets say you were interviewing for the same job just at a different company..? I cant think of what to say that doesn't involve slating my current company which isn't a very good idea.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do not slate your job whatever you do – always looks bad. Just say you have taken the job as far as you can take it and would like a new challenge.

I left my first job after 9 months – helpdesk to network manager. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Going from helpdesk to network manager is justifiable though, Im more talking about desktop support to desktop support.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah but if the new job seems better (more opportunities\money etc.) then no problem moving.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Just be careful not to make a habit of doing it because it comes back to haunt you.

I was recently interviewing candidates for a storage role, ignoring those who had less than a year between roles because we just can't afford to train people up for them to walk away 9 - 12 months later, it so much easier to hire staff who have a little stability in their previous roles, especially if you're in a niche market.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

If the money is better then definitely go for it but aim to stay at that new company for a long time. If the pay isn't better then you will run the risk of having to start all over again such as getting yourself established within the company and the office politics might be worse.

You don't want to keep job hopping from one IT support to the next or you will miss out on future opportunities.

I had an interview at Playground Games and the first thing the IT manager said was "you haven't been in your positions for much time haven't you?".

7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well, i am in your position sort of.

The new job I have isnt living up to what I was hoping it to be, i dont feel that its for me, so when I come to that question my answer will be I left my old role as I wasnt challenged enough and there was no scope for progression, the role I have now isnt what I thought it was, i am looking for a technical role that can challenge me, etc that type of answer should be ok for you

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do you regret leaving your previous job?

9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

No, not in the slightest.

I was in a place where I had too much on, with no proper direction. Then the dept hired a senior admin, non technical, who was very two faced and thought he knew it all, in fact he just made things worse. They hired techies without asking any technical questions which made more work for me. I felt like I was hitting a glass ceiling. I am not the worlds best and never claim to be but I put in the effort and expect that of others.

I got to the point where I thought what is the point, a bit of depression kicked in and I wasnt going to work enjoying the role anymore, which is why I left. Im glad I did but I know where I want to be. The focus now is waiting for that opportunity then seizing the moment

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

I hit this point 6 months into my last job but powered through for another 6 months when I should have started digging my escape tunnel there and then. Really messed me up (was paying out of my own pocket for therapy) and after getting my new job, I didn't bother going in on my very last day as there are so many f*cks one can give in a human lifetime.

Lesson: your health and well-being are not work sacrificing for any job.

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That's the problem with working a bad job, it depresses you, unfortunately sometimes you're stuck in that job for different reasons (financially being the worse of course).

I have in the past stuck with a job, knowing that at some point I was expecting to be made redundant, it took 18 months for that redundancy to take affect and quite honestly the payout wasn't worth the daily heartache and grief I got from the role, instead I would have been better off walking away when I knew it was time and earned myself a much better life.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA