How to learn to be a web designer

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Freddie30, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Freddie30

Freddie30 New Member

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked over and over but i need some help and direction on how to get into web development.

I came across this forum when i was researching a company called The National IT Learning Centre and a thread came up with various opinions. It got me thinking though about what i would actually be paying for seen as no softwear it provided and on the 6 month and year package you have to pay for the exams as well. Anyway from the said thread the general opinion was that you should self teach and i tend to agree but now i am looking for advice on where to get the books from and what books i need to go down this route. I am looking to learn web design and development and would like to know what exams i would need to take to become certified.

Any help advice or links to other threads or websites would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You could do a lot worse than starting here: www.w3schools.com/

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Freddie30

Freddie30 New Member

Thanks Soundian, i will have a look through the site, also what sofwear is best to use? NITL suggested Adobe Creative Suite 5(+) Web Premium.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Web design is one of those fields where certification is pretty pointless - don't do anything with the aim of 'getting certified'. The only thing people hiring web designers will care about is if you are any good or not.

The only way you will get to be any good is to practice.

Start at the beginning - learn the basics of HTML. For that all you need is a book and Notepad. Then just go from there. Don't just teach yourself to use a package like Dreamweaver or you will find yourself screwed if you end up working somewhere that doesn't use it, or the package gets updated as it has so many times in the past.

You're also going to be competing in an industry where people have got degrees in computer sciences, graphical design and marketing. It's such a huge and powerful industry these days that you aren't going to get anywhere near it after doing a 6 month course with a training provider.

My only tip for getting into web design would be to pick a small subject area and try to become an expert in it. CSS, databases, copywriting, testing, project management - whatever. I don't think anyone does everything anymore so your best bet is likely to be 'that guy who is really good at SEO'.

Depressing, isn't it?

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    dmarsh likes this.
  5. Android88

Android88 New Member

Hi, after reading numerous forum threads on the subject of web design and talking with dozens of "I.T. training providers" (Salesmen with little or no knowledge of the industry), I whole heartedly agree with the self study approach.

Some guy from Hays basically told me unless I have a degree in I.T. or something math related I'm wasting my time (and his, by the sound of his voice).

Realistically, does anyone know that employers will take you on without a degree? Even if you are that damn good?! :)

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yep. I have no degree, yet am enjoying a successful career in Software Development. Of course, I started on the servicedesk, and got myself into a position where I was coding vbscript whilst talking to the development team. Eventually I got a secondment to the Dev team, where I gained enough proper experience to kickstart my development career proper.

I haven't found my lack of degree to be holding me back, but I did have to work towards the industry, and make the breaks.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup.
    Any that have got any sense.
    I don't have a degree.
    I went to university, dropped out, did some OU, got work, got experience and got some certs.
    The company I work for is desperate for people who are 'damn good' or have experience.

To be honest, at the moment I think the output of computer science degrees is woeful, and a lot of people just out of one agree. The subjects covered are antiquated and tutors are often completely out of touch with recent developments.

There is no golden ticket to being employable.
    It's a mixture of education, experience, knowledge, passion, personality, a well presented CV, the ability to speak and goodness knows what else.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD