How to learn Exchange (not for certification)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Unemployed Diogenes, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

I want to learn Exchange, but not so far in depht as for certification. I don't know much about the working and configurations, but i want learn something so that i can when i sollicitate for a second-third line function can say that i understand how Exchange works and must be configured...

Someone have experience with a good online tutorial or a book?

Should it be a good idea to buy the MS book and read it and do the practices?? Like i said. I dont need certification, just wanna learn.

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Best way to learn is to build a virtual environment - that way you learn installation, and have your own environment to play around with. If you buy the Exchange self-paced training kit it will have all you need to set up Exchange, and you can download trial versions of Windows Server and Exchange.

The best way to learn is definitely to install and configure/use it yourself.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

thx Zelubulu!

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You might also want to check www.amazon.com and read reviews on various exchange server books and buy one that suits your needs.

In conjunction with reading a book and setting up a virtual lab using Microsoft Virtual PC or VMWare server might also want to get CBT by TrainSignal.

Finally, take your time to go through these materials getting as much hands on practical using your virtual lab setup. The rest would be history from there on. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The only thing I would add is that it might still be worth getting an exam book on Exchange as they will have exercises in the book which will help you learn going through them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Exchange is one of those beasts where you really should have hands on experience if you want to "understand" it. Just reading a book will do good for understanding theory, protocols, etc, but there's a myriad of settings, specific manners in which you install the servers, sizing of them (such as using the exchange storage calculator), and seeing how things like DAG work in practice before you truly grasp and feel comfortable in navigating through the EMC, as well as churning out commands through Powershell...

It's a lot of work, but a true level 300-400 Exchange admin isn't born in a day. Even these guys would do very much the same things as someone just getting into Exchange, but in their case, they may be just that little bit quicker to react in situations, knowing which panel to go to for checking info, and being able to fetch from their memory the more obscure terms and references when they're asked for something.

So yes, setting up a lab is very useful, having a good book or two as well, and just familiarizing oneself with the product. Unfortunately, due to the number of server roles and the complexity into which one would need to go if they wanted to be able to sufficiently test Exchange, you're looking at some hefty lab machines with tons of ram to be able to setup the most interesting environments.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All good advice given above. Building a virtual lab and working through study guides and lab exercises is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, there's no good way to accurately simulate an Exchange failure to enable you to practice the breath-holding attempts at recovery and/or salvage. Those instances, although they don't occur frequently, are enough to either put hair on your chest... or make you lose the hair you have! :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Kell john

Kell john Banned

The site below is a great site. You can use it your self to gain knowledge about the stock market or you can get along with friends to form a group and see who can make the most money. The group competition system is used buy high school and university students in bussiness classes.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also agree with what was said. I personally find that when I do the hands on stuff, whether it be for the exam or setting something up in a test environment, it always makes me more comfortable deploying this technology in prod because I know what to expect.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA