How to have a good understanding of AD concepts (Course 2279B)

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by lifeisshortmove, Jun 22, 2011.

1. lifeisshortmove

lifeisshortmove Bit Poster

Hello,
    MS Course 2779B (Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure) is a difficult course. For me, many concepts in this course are still vague. For example, in FSMO roles, the Infrastructure master role is not clear at all. Each documentation (MOC, MS self-based training kit) says a different thing. Another topic is AD replication
    part which is pretty difficult.

Unfortunately, most interviews I have made concentrate on this course + DNS + Authentication. Most of the questions are scenario based. So, my question is what is the best way to have a good and robust understanding of that course. what resources to use, what test lets should I use to prepare for the exam, ...etc

Thanks in advance

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Build yourself either a physical or virtual network (servers and clients) and practice what you study.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What Ken said. The best way to learn is to do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

This is exactly why they specify a certain amount of experience prior to tackling this sort of exam. Without seeing how they work in real life, you are really going to struggle to get your head round it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You seem to be asking the same sort of questions several times. I hope you're not already seeing potential employers and being handed such things without the know-how to answer them? It can take a year or two to learn the concepts adequately... Take time off and study and don't try to aim too high or your capabilities will be questioned and you'll crash land.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

As the guys have said you either need hands on or to build yourself a home lab otherwise if you don't know what your doing you could cause serious damage to a system. Also buy plenty of good books and get yourself a technet account which gives you access to virtually all of Microsoft's Software.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Infrastructure master comes into its own in a multi DC multi domain environment, as from what I can remember its main purpose is to ensure that any changes to groups are kept up to date between domains (if i remember correctly this is why its a good reason for group nesting as changing groups membership regularly results in floods of traffic).

This is why you shouldnt have a global catalog on the same server as it will have automatically received these updates and will think everythings in synch (when none GC servers may have different info - as likely they will in this scenario!)

As I dont administer a multi domain environment this knowledge is currently useless to me apart from trying to answer exam questions!

I suggest learning how to search technet, doing your MCSA (if you have experience) and getting a role where you will gain training on this material, as if you dont use it, you lose it!

Only way you should be passing exams is if you are good enough in real life

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM