How to give yourself a heart attack!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Apply a service pack to server and then reboot it remotely!

Took over 15 mins to come back up!

I had my car keys in my hand and was almost out the door when suddenly the server responded to a ping, thank f**k!

I should really stop doing these things remotely... :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hahaha

Been there so many times!

Most recent was when I installed SP2 for Exchange 2003 at the behest of a customer convinced it would fix their problems with slow shutdowns of the server due to Exchange conflicting with Windows - it didn't fix them and instead appead to make the server flatline after rebooting - hence a trip up to central London at 3 AM.

Oh the ignominy of it all when i got there and discovered they'd had a power cut (their power is notorious for being up and down as it sits on the same overloaded substation as a load of the major shops on Regent Street and there is often work carried out overnight which causes things to trip out)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL

Reminds me of the time that one of my workmates was trying to fix a replication problem between 2 DCs. After some config changes on both DCs they were restarted, for some reason the DC on the remote site didn’t come back up, major panic set in!

Drove out to the remote site (over an hour drive) and it turns out the DC was shutdown and not restarted! :oops:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

LOL!!!

Got any more funny stories?

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

How about this one:

A few years back, I ended up as Project Manager for the Chip & Pin rollout in a major (one of the top four) supermarket chain in the UK (now don't get excited - I was project manager for the engineers - not the technical side, so I wasn't earning 300 grand a year or anything).

Before getting promoted, I started out on the project as a bog-standard 'team leader', managing a team of engineers responsible for upgrading the EPoS systems in the front of store areas (EPoS means 'computerised tills' for all those not in the know!).

I loved this job - the money was OK and all the upgrades were done at night, which suited me well at the time.

Anyhoo - I once turned up to a store in the centre of London with my team of guys and we started the upgrade. It quickly became apparent that this was not going to be a run of the mill night when we discovered one of the tills was DOA. We weren't actually expected to fix them when they were FUBARed on arrival, but, stupidly, I wanted to have a good old root around inside one. Popping the lid on it, I was greeted with something that looked amazingly like somebody had replaced every single component with a sort of pinkish-red gel-like substance. It was the most bizarre site you've ever seen - every part of the interior was covered like some kind of modern art masterpiece - the Mobo, PCI slots, CPU, RAM modules, HDD, heatsink - everything.

The culprit? Well, to this day I'm not entirely sure, as no comprehensive chemical analysis was performed, but sitting next to the machine, like some guilty little schoolboy, was a three quarters empty, value-sized bottle of Pepto-Bismol. Apparently, one of the staff on the shift before had been pretty desperate to get away early, and decided to pour the erstwhile indigestion remedy into the case of the machine (there was a simple way of popping the lids on them without anyone ever knowing they'd been opened).

I've always wondered what would happen if I tried that on some of the servers that have caused me problems in the past...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

haha, thats funny I would of never though of that, I guess people are willing to do what ever it takes to leave early. Nice one Zeb

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

There are some crazy people out there...