How to get short cuts on desktop

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tech291083, Sep 14, 2006.

1. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi,

i am using fedora 5 for the first time but can not figure out as how to get the regular icons on the desktop like indows.thanks.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First you have to find out what the command is that launches the application. For example, let's say you want a firefox icon on your desktop. The easy way to find out for firefox is to right-click the icon on your panel (usually the top one in Gnome) and click properties. You'll see a dialog box like the one in the attachment "launcher01".

Close the dialog box and right-click in any empty space on your desktop.

Click "Create Launcher". A dialog box will appear that looks just like the properties dialog you just saw, but the fields are unpopulated. Type in the appropriate name for the application and make sure the command is filled in correctly.

If you want a nifty firefox logo for the icon, the easiest way to do this is to do a Google Image Search for "firefox logo". Choose one from the results and save it to a folder in your home directory. Open the folder so the icon is visible at the same time the firefox launcher dialog is visible and just drag and drop the image to the "no icon" box in the dialog.

It's that simple. Just double-click the firefox icon on the desktop to launch the application. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The easiest way to get put shortcuts on the desktop or on a panel is to just right click the application shortcut in the applications menu and choose Add to desktop or Add to panel. This works in both Gnome and KDE desktops.

I don't know what gui Fedora uses but I would imagine they have this feature if they use either Gnome or KDE.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1