How to find Startup programs/locations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 8, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

When I run msconfig, I have a few items in startup which I can't seem to find their location and sometimes which programs they belong to, how I can best do so please? Thanks.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It might be worth looking at the link I posted in this thread. Although Its not exactly what you were looking for it identified different services, and lets you know what they do, and what programs they are tied in to.

8)

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Msconfig actualy shows where each item is started. The 'Location' column gives you a big clue.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

the location within the startup tab in MSCONFIG is for the reg not the c:\program files\

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Valid point.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. hbroomhall

Er - no - it gives clues about other locations as well.

For example - I have some entries that say 'Common Startup'. This is a reference to the 'Startup' folder for 'All Users'.

Harry.

7. hbroomhall

If you want an even more complete list - get Autoruns from Sysinternals .

Harry.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well there seems to be a big clue in the command column :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Was just thinking the same thing.....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. mikehende

I see the "location" column but I am seeing some locations that I just cannot find so I can't know which programs some of these things belongs to. I try using the windows "search" tool to search for Files and Folders but it doesn't show up there either.

11. mikehende

For example, when I use msconfig and go to Startup, I see programs belonging to "Startup" and "common startup" in the location column but l have looked everywhere and can't find those folders anywhere on my pc, I thought these 2 folders would be either in the Windows or System folders but nothing there

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Your startup folder is in the start menu. Any shortcuts or exe files in there will run when Windows starts. It's been that way since Win95 :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. hbroomhall

I described the location of Common Startup in a posting above, which I'll quote:
    Harry.

14. Mr.Cheeks

Mike dude - do you know how to to the start up folder with the all users file/folder? cuz their in mydoc folder not winnt or system... cant remember whether that particular folder is hidden?

15. mikehende

One of my friend's gave me this last night but I haven't had time to go through it yet, will start on it later today, want to get the RAM thing out of the way this morning, got 15 pages left to go through, will post back any questions on this later today, thanks.

"OK. I'll give an example, like the one from before "Adobe Reader Speed Launch". Under location, it says, Common Startup, then under command, it says "C:\PROGRA~1\Adobe\ACROBA~1\Reader\READER~1.EXE". So, the "Common Startup" refers to the location of the shortcut, or "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup". "Command"refers the location of the shortcut.

In addition to Startup and Common Startup, there are also locations in the registry:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Run, which, like Common Startup, runs the shortcuts for any and every user and:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Run, which is similar to Startup.

To find these, open the registry (be very careful, and backup first if you change anything) by going to Start/Run and typing regedit. HKLM stands for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER, so navigate through the keys & subkeys (kind of like folders) until you find the entries. You can delete them if you wish, but I would recommend doing it through msconfig.

When items are unchecked, they do not exist in that folder any more, but in a different location instead so they do not startup, but are kept in case you would like them to be a startup item."

16. mikehende

how will I know to which programs each startup item belongs to? Some of these items have very strange names so I can't tell just by looking at the name.

17. hbroomhall

One clue is the name of the directory it sits in. Your first example shows Adobe and 'acroba' - so it is a good guess that it is Adobe's Acrobat Reader software.

This is how I find most of the obscure ones.

The programs that don't seem to live in an obvious directory like that, and often are in the root or directly off the root are prime candidates for being Trojans.

Harry.

18. mikehende

can all programs be added to startup "after" installation?

19. Mr.Cheeks

startup folder is done auto when you install windows, you will have all users by default, and then each user will have a separate folder. if anything goes into startup under all users then the program will run on everyones startup, if it is in timmys start up folder, then it will run only on timmys...

...or did is mis understand your question?

20. mikehende

Yes, I think you may have misunderstood my question, let me try to ask in a different way. I know that when installing some programs you have the option to have the program load when the pc boots up, what I am asking is, if for example, I have a program on my pc that's been there for a while now and I did not choose to have it load at startup [when I first installed the program] but nowwish to have it load at startup, can I do this?